Working with New Evernote after switching from the Legacy version

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Hi,

I have big problems with my workflow after switching from the Legacy version.

1. I have a note open, there are tags at the bottom. How to view other notes associated with one of the tags? In the Legacy version, just click on the small triangle next to a tag and Evertnote selects the corresponding tag in the tag tree and displays the related notes.
  2. When I search for a tag (Ctrl+Q) and select it, it appears in the search filter but is not selected in the tag tree. How should I search for and select a tag in the tag tree so that it is visible in the entire structure?
  3. When pressed (right Alt + s) the Capture Screen is activated. How to disable it (in Legacy version I can disable shortcuts)? In Polish (right Alt + s) it is the letter ś, which makes New Evernote useless and I have to switch back to the Legacy version.
  4. How to sync all notes to be available offline. I need access to all my notes without waiting for download. It's standard on the Legacy version.
  5. Is there any way to get colored tags. This is very useful for me in the Legacy version.
  • Krzys changed the title to Working with New Evernote after switching from the Legacy version
  • Solution
12 minutes ago, Krzys said:

Hi,

I have big problems with my workflow after switching from the Legacy version.

1. I have a note open, there are tags at the bottom. How to view other notes associated with one of the tags? In the Legacy version, just click on the small triangle next to a tag and Evertnote selects the corresponding tag in the tag tree and displays the related notes.
  2. When I search for a tag (Ctrl+Q) and select it, it appears in the search filter but is not selected in the tag tree. How should I search for and select a tag in the tag tree so that it is visible in the entire structure?
  3. When pressed (right Alt + s) the Capture Screen is activated. How to disable it (in Legacy version I can disable shortcuts)? In Polish (right Alt + s) it is the letter ś, which makes New Evernote useless and I have to switch back to the Legacy version.
  4. How to sync all notes to be available offline. I need access to all my notes without waiting for download. It's standard on the Legacy version.
  5. Is there any way to get colored tags. This is very useful for me in the Legacy version.

1. Use the v next to the tag to access the menu as shown:

image.png.cb2bded90ac3819b44b586efec97ffb5.png

2, Depends which tag tree you mean! You can't have it display in the side bar tag tree. The best option is to open the tag filter where selected tags have a tick. However if you colapse nested tags you can't see them in the nest only at the top. 

image.png.690fa6fe17372dd4bfce775f33a0745d.png

3. Go to the shortcut menu. Help 🢂 keyboatd shortcuts and disable it

image.png.11a9ce8b57c972f687134b134275eba1.png

5. Use coloured emojis 

image.png.1b2b17f92b2d46b010642746dfa8a160.png

Thank you for your answer @Mike P 👏

1. Unfortunately, this method only allows to filter within a given tag. The tag is displayed only in filters, but its location in the entire tag tree is not opened. Overall, it helped but only partially.

2. Yes, in filters and in tag finder, everything works fine. The only thing that annoys me is that nothing is synchronized with the tag tree in the left panel. It looks like the tag tree in the left pane is just a regular filter, nothing else and it's not related to any other function.

3. It helped me a lot, thank you 👍 

5. This solution looks nice but causes errors in the search system. When we add an emoji to the tag at the beginning, it cannot be searched at the bottom under the note. It can only be searched in the tag search list or filters.

23 minutes ago, Krzys said:

When we add an emoji to the tag at the beginning, it cannot be searched at the bottom under the note.

Well you can search for it

image.png.1e5b4bd346adc992715eb9f4db4fe31d.png

You can always add the emoji to the end of tag if you only want the visual effect. Adding it to the beginning allows a gouping of tags to be found in the same way as adding any special character. You can do nice searches like

tag:📌*

to search for notes which contain any tag that starts with the emoji.

It's not the same as simply colouring a tag but for my money the extra capabilities are really nice.

If you paste an emoji then yes it works. But every time you have to open the emotion panel and then put the right emoji at the beginning of the search box. My point is that when I search in the tag filters, when I start typing "dum", even without an emoji, the given one is searched. But under the note, I have to search by typing all characters correctly from the beginning including emoji.
I also noticed that searching for tags under a note also works in an incomplete way, you have to enter each tag fragment from the beginning. The filters search for text throughout the tag, regardless of word order.

Search behavior in the tag filter:

image.png.33172db70f14f3497d23cea69592f137.png

image.png.27941ae0a8163c48e8f7b5c989d3c1ec.png

image.png.91afa641b6c4a79299ea79a10c501fda.png

Search behavior when adding a tag to the bottom of a note:

image.png.16afaaf3ab29b916598036dfd5b19506.png

image.png.cac2b116f6f0ebcf3097fc11b34c6518.png

image.png.b33ff6ceafb3d5be6ff44bf4dd8968f7.png

I don't understand this inconsistency, it looks like a bug.

1 hour ago, Krzys said:

But every time you have to open the emotion panel and then put the right emoji at the beginning of the search box.

I use AutoHotKey (AHK) to convert "hot strings" into tags. Other phrase expanders exist.

1 hour ago, Krzys said:

I don't understand this inconsistency

As you are talking about adding tags to a note it's best to compare the different ways of searching for tags to add them to a note. You refer to the tag filter but I think you actually mean the tag menu.(alt+ctrl+5). The tag filter is different and is part of the filter menu.

image.png.85a8f9b493c9518153bd9659e13319f9.png

There are three ways of searching for tags to add them to a note.

1. Type into the tag area at the bottom of the note. As you rightly say this only searches for tags that start with the characters typed. This is quick and dirty and works for me most of the time because I can normally remember how my tag starts

2. The Edit tags menu. Note 🢂 edit tags (🢀 AHK strikes again!) Here you get a "true search" very simlar to the tag filter or the tag menu

image.png.985300691fbd1ca8d81233bca78e403e.png

3. You obviously know that you can also search for tags in the main tag window (Windows alt+ctrl+5). You can then drag and drop the found tags onto the note in the note list or the main body of the note

I think the 3 different methods provide flexibility and I see the "lack of consistency" as positively helpful.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Krzys said:

When I search for a tag (Ctrl+Q) and select it, it appears in the search filter but is not selected in the tag tree. How should I search for and select a tag in the tag tree so that it is visible in the entire structure?

Sounds like you are referring to the "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected"-feature (third option under the Navigation panel in Options in Legacy). Super useful feature that provided great context of related tags etc., that has yet to be carried over to v10 and I doubt it will unfortunately.. :(

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Krzys said:

image.png.b33ff6ceafb3d5be6ff44bf4dd8968f7.png

I don't understand this inconsistency, it looks like a bug.

The search for tags on desktop will only be kicked off by the beginning of a tag. A string taken from the middle will not trigger a list of possible tags to build.

Why the same search on a mobile client will trigger from a string out of the middle, remains one of the unresolved mysteries of v10.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Why the same search on a mobile client will trigger from a string out of the middle, remains one of the unresolved mysteries of v10.

The add tag system on mobile seems more like an implementation of "edit tags" on desktop which as i have shown above does find the search string wherever it is in the tag. Desktop and web have an extra system, not available on mobile, for quick addition of tags if you remember what they start with and don't need the hierarchy. 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, Mike P said:

I use AutoHotKey (AHK) to convert "hot strings" into tags. Other phrase expanders exist.

In Windows 10 shortcut Win+. is enough, it open emoji window.

2 hours ago, Krzys said:

In Windows 10 shortcut Win+. is enough, it open emoji window.

You still need to find the 'emoji you need, whch is ok if it's in the list of recently used emoji, but a pain otherwise. I'd much prefer to type ..r to give me 🔴. Both methods work fine.

Have you a way to assign a view to a tag, as it was in Legacy 'Always use for tag ...'. It was very useful for me. The main sorting was by update date, but I had a lot of folders sorted by title. Now I miss such an important option.

• Level 5

Has been requested by some users already (save preferences per notebook) - not available.

To ask for missing features, the best way is to contact support. Explain your use case, only „like in legacy“ is not enough.