After Eliminating Notes from Desktop App They Repopulate

I've been getting warnings about space so i dumped about 1,500 notes from Evernote (leaving about 1,600). I let Evernote sync overnight (takes a long time to sync that much change, I figured).

The next day, though, many of the files are back in my desktop Evernote app! I'm back to 2,600+ notes! Not cool! Not only are the notes back, I also wasted lots of time manually trashing notes and syncing, only to have 2/3 or them repopulate.

I tried going online to eliminate notes in case it needs to come from that direction, but I can only eliminate one at a time there, and they repopulated on my desktop app anyway!

What I do in the app should direct what happens online since they are the most recent additions/subtractions. Why can't I eliminate these notes?!

Update - I sync across three devices (+ cloud) - iPad, iPhone, laptop. The issues were with the laptop and the online version (I thought). I just went to my phone and when the app executed a sync ALL OF THE NOTES from June disappeared! My phone is now in full sync with the online version... which includes May. Nothing past that. June notes from my phone are gone - ALL OF THEM. Those notes were newest and should have populated online and then across to other devices.

This isn't productive. I'm an Evernote user since 2008, and I promote it to all of my students (I'm a college teacher). No more. I may as well just put everything in Google Drive. It's stable, has a bunch of storage, is sharable without costing more, has search features, etc. Why keep Evernote if it is going to be this unstable?

If anyone can enlighten me to a compelling reason why I should not abandon Evernote, I'm all ears. Sure, the interface is attractive, but is this instability worth it?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, GoGo97 said:

I've been getting warnings about space

Hi. 

If this is the first major issue you had in 15 years,  it hardly suggests that the system is unstable.

You were geting warnings from whom and what exactly do they say?  Evernote would never complain about the number or size of notes in your account - if you were able to sync them to the server in the first place,  that space is now yours (AFAIK) forever. 

Removing notes from your account does nothing but reduce the amount of working space Evernote takes up on your local desktop drive.  It's unrelated,  but any warnings you may have seen about limited disk space were probably to do with the remaining free space on your hard drive possibly being insufficient to run the software safely.

i dumped about 1,500 notes from Evernote

That's a fairly huge database reorganisation.

Why can't I eliminate these notes?!

2 hours ago, GoGo97 said:

I sync across three devices (+ cloud) - iPad, iPhone, laptop.

Guessing that one or more of these devices were on and syncing regularly while the main reorganisation was going on.  Each device compares what's on the server with its own local information,  and if there's something more up to date available,  that's downloaded.  Cross-talk between these three devices and the server may have been what confused the issue.

You seem to have walked into a 'perfect storm' situation where a major change had an unforseen effect.  I'd strongly recommend that you contact Evernote Support for their assistance in stabilising your database and - maybe - recovering lost data.  You might also check what free storage space remains on your laptop - unless it's something like 10% of the total size,  it may not be enough.

The forums here are mainly supported by other users like me,  and we don't have server-side access to review what happened with your account or assist you properly.  I hope Support can help resolve the situation.

(And since you asked,  the benefits of subscribing to Evernote include reserved server space and getting reasonably quick reactions to out of the usual situations like this,  plus technical help when you need it.  Other providers tend to be a little slower... )

Evernote giving me a message that there's too little space left is absolutely related to my hard drive space, that I know. So I dumped useless notes from Evernote (old, related to finished projects, etc.) as well as some other files that were taking up space. I now have 55 GB of open space on a 1T drive. Still getting the message from Evernote, though, that there is not enough space.

This is not the only time I've had syncing issues in the last year. About two weeks ago I suddenly lost a few notes that I use often... just gone. And there have been some other things. I've never experienced anything "going missing" or a file "in conflict" on the Google Drive I use with regularity (also in use for at least the last 15 years). Why not just go there if syncing is something that is now an issue with Evernote?

The files on my phone were the very newest files. A month's worth. All gone. I was syncing only one device at a time. When I turned on the phone (later) and launched Evernote, the newest files were there. Within a few minutes it was all replaced with the online version that did not have my new files.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, GoGo97 said:

I now have 55 GB of open space on a 1T drive. Still getting the message from Evernote, though, that there is not enough space

The space warnings are just that. A warning. I'm told it triggers at 5% of drive space. For a 1Tb drive you need 50gb free space. So you are only just at the level of space needed. But chances are that your OS needs more than that much space to operate with ease so you will need to free up more space to get rid of the warnings. In the meantime you can continue to work.

We're told that the option to use alternative drive space to store your data is coming. In the meantime search the forums for symlink to find other ways to achieve this until the function arrives.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, GoGo97 said:

Evernote giving me a message that there's too little space left is absolutely related to my hard drive space, that I know.

...And after freeing up space you appear to be just within the limit required for your system to operate at all.  Support may be able to help you get back your missing files,  and if you don't need to work offline you could either opt not to keep your database on your local hard drive at all,  use the web version,  or use a symlink as suggested to move the database elsewhere.

11 hours ago, GoGo97 said:

June notes from my phone are gone - ALL OF THEM. Those notes were newest and should have populated online and then across to other devices.

Do you mean that the  June notes from your phone were never synced before, that your phone was permanently offline last month? In that case, it 'll be difficult to recover these notes I'm afraid...

6 hours ago, eric99 said:

Do you mean that the  June notes from your phone were never synced before, that your phone was permanently offline last month? In that case, it 'll be difficult to recover these notes I'm afraid...

My phone is on every day (and online every day) so I have no idea why the files from my phone didn't sync to the greater Evernote online. That's one of the mysteries. I used Evernote more on the phone than on the laptop. When I went to sync the laptop I got the space warnings, but the new files from the phone hadn't populated on the web so when I synced the laptop to the web version those new files weren't there. The next day I went to Evernote on the phone, there were the new files. I walked away, came back, and the new files had been eliminated and the database now populating the phone is the older database that included files until the end of May. It also reflects that I've eliminated a bunch of files. That part is ok. Selectively dumping my newest files is not.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, GoGo97 said:

Selectively dumping my newest files is not.

No 'selective' about it - any unsynced information didn't even get to Evernote.  But I can't work out what might have happened - just another user here.  Support may be able to help you - they can look at the server side of your account and maybe resolve something for you.

• Level 5*

Not sure what you're looking for here - we're mainly users with no access to your account.  If you want to find out what happened and maybe get some notes back you really need to contact Support.  As I already said I really have no clue what combination of circumstances might have caused your issues.

I wanted some information and to see if anyone else experienced this frustrating situation. Other users often can corroborate and possibly have found a fix.  Didn't see it existing in the already posted questions.  Didn't expect the judgmental tone.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, GoGo97 said:

Didn't expect the judgmental tone.

Apologies if I came over that way - was just working through what I know about the system to see whether any explanations/ fixes occurred to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, too. I've deleted some notes three times, and they keep coming back. I stopped deleting them on my desktop, but its very time consuming deleting on the Web app as it can only be done one at a time. I haven't added any new notes. I'm just trying to clean out notes that aren't useful anymore. I pay for Personal, and I'm only using my desktop and the Web app, as I eventually want to export notebooks to save them.

• Level 5*
On 7/17/2023 at 7:45 PM, CPB62 said:

I've deleted some notes three times, and they keep coming back.

Hi.  Have you raised this with Support?  Please confirm your device / OS / Evernote version(s) - do you have web and app open at the same time?