Just lost 4-5 notes for the SECOND TIME this month

Mac Airbook
Free Version

Recently I have been working offline by my apartments pool on Evernote. The notes will be there, then all of a sudden BAM. They will disappear. Not in the trash, not on web version.

The first time this happened I followed the instructions to restart Evernote (I deleted it and it kept saying notes were unsynced- which is ridiculous because I was connected to the internet at the time. Bring back manual sync button ffs). Anyways, I deleted it like the forum said and low and behold when I re-installed it my notes weren't there and I assumed they were lost forever. 

Evernote was running faster though so I chalked it up to a fluke with the software. Fastforward a week later, AND IT HAPPENED AGAIN. 4-5 notes, disappeared, nowhere to be found. Should there not be a copy of these saved on my computer? Where can I find them? How are there so many instances of this happening

• Like 2

I just lost three notes from the last hour. I have been using Evernote for about 15 years and I have never seen that behavior. For the love. I'm generally circumspect, but this is a problem. AI clean-up and other niche features aren't much use if an hour's worth of work is wiped.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, gsmith58v3 said:

I just lost three notes from the last hour. I have been using Evernote for about 15 years and I have never seen that behavior. For the love. I'm generally circumspect, but this is a problem. AI clean-up and other niche features aren't much use if an hour's worth of work is wiped.

Same here. Very frustrating. I selected AI clean-up and it erased my entire list of To Dos only leaving a few useless bullets. I restored the older version several times and it repeats to delete everything. I think that once you select AI clean-up it is on and can't be shut off so keeps repeating. My solution is to start a new Notebook and copy the restored backup info into that, and delete the corrupted one. Seems to be working. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using Evernote since January 2, 2010 (over 13 years) and have around 19,000 notes. I'm horrified that so many notes, especially the older ones, are missing attachments. They either have an "Untitled Attachment" icon that goes nowhere or are just missing the information altogether. I migrated my notes to Apple Notes and found that over one thousand of them show the text "{{NotesAttachment:", followed by a string of letters and numbers.

I don't see the point of using an app that is unreliable. Thanks in advance for any advice on what, if anything, can be done to recover the data.

6 hours ago, jerseycube said:

I have been using Evernote since January 2, 2010 (over 13 years) and have around 19,000 notes. I'm horrified that so many notes, especially the older ones, are missing attachments. They either have an "Untitled Attachment" icon that goes nowhere or are just missing the information altogether. I migrated my notes to Apple Notes and found that over one thousand of them show the text "{{NotesAttachment:", followed by a string of letters and numbers.

I don't see the point of using an app that is unreliable. Thanks in advance for any advice on what, if anything, can be done to recover the data.

That's not good. I'm kind of scared to load up some of my oldest notes to check for myself, in case it's the very act of loading up the note that triggers a bug that deletes the attachment. Hopefully it's just a temporary situation that can be fixed and those attachments are not lost forever. My confidence in Evernote is a bit shaken right now: the #1, #2, and #3 most important features to me for this kind of app are to never, ever lose my data.

I have lost parts of two important notes now, not the entire note, but I'm unnerved by this. Where's my data? It used to go into Conflicting Notes to restore.

The notes are truncated at the end, then get synced to the server incomplete.

I checked the note history, but apparently to restore from a previous version is a "premium" feature. That's what conflicting notes used to do and now I have to pay to get my data back?!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, chilee said:

I checked the note history, but apparently to restore from a previous version is a "premium" feature. That's what conflicting notes used to do and now I have to pay to get my data back?!

Well, getting conflicting notes was an error situation.  It should not have happened.  Note history has always been the method to access older versions.  You can sign up for just a month to gain access to the feature.  It is worth a try but what you describe sounds like a problem they are actively working on.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Well, getting conflicting notes was an error situation.  It should not have happened.  Note history has always been the method to access older versions.  You can sign up for just a month to gain access to the feature.  It is worth a try but what you describe sounds like a problem they are actively working on.

Is the Conflicting Changes feature now deprecated? I am still using the Legacy version because I've also had issues with notes not loading in the new version.

I hope they work all this out because I don't like losing notes, especially ones I use every day, and rely on them.

• Level 5

With RTE there are no conflicting changes any more - or just under offline conditions.

In a shared note even 2 users can work simultaneously on the same slab of text - one seeing the changes the other showing in real time, while typing himself.

When they get the bugs ironed out, a real game changer.

• Level 5*

Legacy syncs full notes and would occasionally result in note conflicts.  V10 has implemented real time editing (RTE) which essentially instantly syncs only note changes, so note conflicts will be a thing of the past.  There are a few problems with RTE that they are working through.

The problem is recent (within the last month on the mobile app), where apparently notes are getting chopped off at the point of the edit. Everything below it gets deleted.

• Level 5*
Just now, chilee said:

The problem is recent (within the last month on the mobile app), where apparently notes are getting chopped off at the point of the edit. Everything below it gets deleted.

Yes, that is one of the known problems that Evernote is working on.  Because of the data loss (and I’ve had it too), I’m sure this problem has the highest priority.

On 7/23/2023 at 7:19 PM, s2sailor said:

Just so I am understanding this, I have to upgrade to Professional to access note histories, which used to be Conflicting Changes? That's essentiallty taking what used to be a standard feature of the software and now making it an option? https://evernote.com/compare-plans

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, chilee said:

Just so I am understanding this, I have to upgrade to Professional to access note histories, which used to be Conflicting Changes? That's essentiallty taking what used to be a standard feature of the software and now making it an option? https://evernote.com/compare-plans

No, that’s not it.  Note history is how one has always accessed older note versions and being on any paid plan is required for access.  No change there.  Note conflicts occurred when there was a sync error.  The legacy software would sync only entire notes.  If the software couldn’t figure out which note was the most current, it would create a conflict note so you could select.  It was how they prevented data loss.  With the new sync method in V10, only note changes will be sync’d, so note conflicts no longer occur, but they are still working through some bugs in this new sync method that has caused some data loss.

13 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

No, that’s not it.  Note history is how one has always accessed older note versions and being on any paid plan is required for access.  No change there.  Note conflicts occurred when there was a sync error.  The legacy software would sync only entire notes.  If the software couldn’t figure out which note was the most current, it would create a conflict note so you could select.  It was how they prevented data loss.  With the new sync method in V10, only note changes will be sync’d, so note conflicts no longer occur, but they are still working through some bugs in this new sync method that has caused some data loss.

What I want is to restore my notes. So will Premium (Professional) do that for me?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, chilee said:

What I want is to restore my notes. So will Premium (Professional) do that for me?

Maybe.  That is how it is typically done, but some users, experiencing this current problem, have reported that note history didn’t have all their changes.  You won’t know for certain unless you try.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:34 AM, s2sailor said:

Maybe.  That is how it is typically done, but some users, experiencing this current problem, have reported that note history didn’t have all their changes.  You won’t know for certain unless you try.

Oh my, what am I paying for? Someone reached out to me personally but I haven't heard back. I don't have much confidence at this point.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, chilee said:

Oh my, what am I paying for?

Also, some people have reported incomplete note histories with this particular bug.  You may get back some or all of what you hope, but I wanted you to have the range of possible outcomes as reported by others before paying.  This will be a roll of the dice and not a guarantee if you decide to try it.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:10 AM, s2sailor said:

Also, some people have reported incomplete note histories with this particular bug.

OS 13.4 and Evernote 10.59.5 on a MacBook Pro

I had this happen this week. I was in a workshop and Evernote stopped saving around noon. I lost the entire afternoon's worth of notes.

When I check History, I can see when it stopped. 

Weird because I was syncing regularly all afternoon and could see my note growing in size; it was only the next day when I looked up the note on iOS that the information was missing. I checked the OS version and indeed, it was gone. 

I paid a lot of money to attend that workshop and I'm gutted to have lost my  notes.

Also, I messaged @evernotehelps on Twitter and no answer.

1 hour ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Then switch apps already.

Yes, good suggestion. This is the first time it's happened to me, but as I read this thread, sounds like a regular occurance.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:08 AM, PinkElephant said:

With RTE there are no conflicting changes any more - or just under offline conditions.

In a shared note even 2 users can work simultaneously on the same slab of text - one seeing the changes the other showing in real time, while typing himself.

When they get the bugs ironed out, a real game changer.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:10 AM, s2sailor said:

Also, some people have reported incomplete note histories with this particular bug.  You may get back some or all of what you hope, but I wanted you to have the range of possible outcomes as reported by others before paying.  This will be a roll of the dice and not a guarantee if you decide to try it.

Yesterday I got a notification on a note, "Your latest changes will not sync. The account or note has reached its limit". I've never gotten this kind of error before. Are there in fact note limits? Is this new? Is this what is causing my issue: I reach a limit and nothing I've typed is saved?

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Note size limits, since a veeeery long time:

Free: 25MB

Plus: 50MB

Premium and up: 200MB

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247

Be happy you get warned !

It's impossible that this particular note was 50MB. It was all text with a few images and is in fact 200KB. I have notes much longer, especially the older ones, and I'm not getting notices.