Attached files reimporting themselves, not opening

I've encountered a problem a few times where after attaching a file, and attempting to open in later, that instead of opening, it simply reimports a copy of the same note.  

What is happening is that the default app for handling these files has been changed (not by me) to Evernote.  I can fix this by changing the default file type.  An easy fix if I remember what happened previously, but is this on anyone's radar for a fix??

Sure, Windows 11, this is using the Evernote Windows desktop app,  10.58.5.  It's very weird, the default app for the file type is being changed by Evernote and I'm not sure why.  Let me know if there is any more pertinent information that might be helpful.

• Level 5

Unfortunately I can’t tell more, since I left Windows exactly for spending too much time in the engine room, and switched to the Mac. So sorry, I read these posts with a sort of nostalgic amusement.

But I’m sure one of the very able Masters of the Windows Mystery will take over here to sort this out.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, J. Michael Lindsay said:

the default app for the file type is being changed by Evernote

Not happening in my versions of Win 11 and Evernote.

3 hours ago, J. Michael Lindsay said:

attempting to open in later, that instead of opening, it simply reimports a copy of the same note.  

That makes no sense at all.  If you're opening an attachment to a note,  Evernote has no way to 're-import' that note unless you added it from an Import Folder.  Plus if you're saying Evernote is changing the default app for the attachment - this is happening for all types of file?  JPG / DOCX / MP3 etc?

Please give us some screen clips for a better understanding.

This time, it was only happening with Word docs, previously it has happened with excel files.  I attached a word doc from an older version, this was .doc, not .docx.  When I attempted to open the attached document later, EN notified me that it had imported the document, creating a new note with a new attachment in my default folder.  After changing the default app back to Word, the situation resolved.  Just still not sure why the default app would change in the first place.  Sorry, I fixed it before creating screenshots.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, J. Michael Lindsay said:

When I attempted to open the attached document later, EN notified me that it had imported the document

Nope - what you're describing still doesn't make any sense in the context of what I know Evernote should do,  or even in what it's capable of doing in an error situation...

Screen shots definitely required if this happens again!

22 hours ago, J. Michael Lindsay said:

I've encountered a problem a few times where after attaching a file, and attempting to open in later, that instead of opening, it simply reimports a copy of the same note.  

What is happening is that the default app for handling these files has been changed (not by me) to Evernote.  I can fix this by changing the default file type.  An easy fix if I remember what happened previously, but is this on anyone's radar for a fix??

Are you by any chance merging notes or dragging/dropping or copy-pasting the attachments? If that is the case, I can follow your steps somewhat. If I import 2 files with a PDF in two seperate notes. And then merge them. The merge fails due to known bug(s) in Evernote. The error messages are ór not shown ór delayed ór shown behind my windows 10 seconds too late.

Next... Evernote sinds 10.58.5 has some detection on a merge or drag and drop of attachments gone wrong. In the resulting merged note (or the target note receiving the attachment on pasting or dropping) the atachment SEEMS fine, but it is broken. If I double click it, it goes wrong. It doesn't open. Which can be perceived as the wrong default app being linked. From that second my atachment (the one I clicked) shows as "undefined".

Next. Some mechanism in Evernote kicks in and the original notes that got trashed on the merge, get undeleted by Evernote itself and it COULD BE PERCEIVED AS BEING REIMPORTED....

Is something like this the case?

(Evernote 10.58.5 on Windows)

The only route for me to get attachments correctly in a note, in such a way that I can open them from that note, is saving them on disk. Then "Insert attachment" on the target note. That does not produce errors/problems as described above.