Very high energy impact since last update

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Since the last update, Evernote has a very high energy impact when viewed in Activity Monitor. It drains the battery by 25% easily within 2 hours on a MacBook Air less than 1 year old with no further battery issues. Battery condition is currently 'normal' at 95% of normal capacity. This would be sufficient reason to stop using Evernote since this hinders the performance of my laptop way too much. Hopefully the problem can be resolved quick.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

From your brief description it is likely there is a piece of corrupted data stuck in the local database, causing the system to loop.

The smallest impact has a log out, quit the app, reopen and log in.

Next level would be to remove the local database to enforce a new download from the server. You use the AppStore version, or the direct download ? The location of the local database depends on this question.

The final measure would be to do a complete uninstall, using the app AppCleaner, and set it up fresh.

Thanks for your quick reply! I downloaded through the Appstore and already tried removing the app and reinstalling it but without removing the database or using AppCleaner. I'd like to try removing the local database to see if that fixes the problem.

• Level 5
  • Solution

This should be the location with the AppStore version. Can’t check since I’m on the direct download.

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data

The first symbol means your Mac User directory. It is possible these locations are hidden. Which means you can’t see them unless you unhide hidden folders. Here is how:

https://www.uubyte.com/blog/how-to-show-hidden-files-on-mac-ventura-for-example/

On 6/17/2023 at 9:56 AM, PinkElephant said:

Very few have this problem - no reason to generalize. Just follow the advise to disable spell checking, and the problem is over.

I did that. Didn't work. Nothing has worked

• Level 5

Nothing means what ?

We had several proposals embedded in this thread: Update the app to the latest, disable spell checking, replace the local database.

Last option: Contact support, attach an activity log.

While I type this, my EN processes on idle are in between 1% and 6% of CPU usage, most of the time closer to 1% than to 6%, on my M1 MacMini (quite a basic machine in the Mac range). When using the app they may go up to 30-60% briefly, but come down again quickly. All these measurements are for 1 CPU core, not for all cores together. There is nothing uncommon or excessive about this resources allocation.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Nothing means what ?

We had several proposals embedded in this thread: Update the app to the latest, disable spell checking, replace the local database.

While I type this, my EN processes on idle are in between 1% and 6% of CPU usage, most of the time closer to 1% than to 6%, on my M1 MacMini (quite a basic machine in the Mac range). When using the app they may go up to 30-60% briefly, but come down again quickly. All these measurements are for 1 CPU core, not for all cores together. There is nothing uncommon or excessive about this resources allocation.

Well, that's good for you. My CPU is much higher. I have to quit the app completely or my battery totally dies. I have tried everything you have suggested above, and have a ticket to EN support, which of course, they have yet to respond to. I don't know why you get so aggravated with everyone else who is having issues. I'm glad you don't, doesn't mean everyone else who is is stupid and lying.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ronnj said:

I have tried everything you have suggested above

You uninstalled the app completely and used AppCleaner after? Wondering because I'm seeing high CPU usage from Evernote now on two different Macs so I'm wondering if it's worth it to try AppCleaner. (Both Macs are running 10.58.5 on the direct download.) Once the high CPU usage starts it doesn't seem to stop until I quit and restart Evernote. I'll probably submit a ticket to support when I get more time to do a little troubleshooting myself first later this week.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:44 PM, PinkElephant said:

This should be the location with the AppStore version. Can’t check since I’m on the direct download.

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data

The first symbol means your Mac User directory. It is possible these locations are hidden. Which means you can’t see them unless you unhide hidden folders. Here is how:

https://www.uubyte.com/blog/how-to-show-hidden-files-on-mac-ventura-for-example/

This was the fix to the problem I was having. The energy impact stays within normal range and when it shoots up momentarily it comes down quick. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/20/2023 at 5:50 PM, PinkElephant said:

Nothing means what ?

Just to follow up. EN support said this is a known performance issue with no fix at this time. They know that is not the answer we want, but they are working to fix. So, quit talking down to everyone like their experience is not real. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit sad to report my issues with the high energy impact have returned. I currently can't leave the Evernote App open continuously because after a while the energy impact shoots up again and starts draining my battery. Closing the app and reopening it solves it for a short while. Good to hear that it's a known performance issue so it will hopefully be resolved in the future.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Steven1988 said:

Good to hear that it's a known performance issue so it will hopefully be resolved in the future.

Please contact Support too if you can - 95% of the work in fixing something which appears to be intermittent or sporadic is finding out why it is that way.  Contributing your activity logs may help speed up a solution for everyone. 

Glad I found this particular thread. My fans just started going nuts (I always have activity monitor open).

Mine started acting up after I made several checklists (about 5 in the same note). Quit evernote, usage returns to normal. Starting the app pushes it right back.

The app is consuming steady as a rock constant 80%, & the app renderer is another 61.2%. It also failed to save the most recent changes, so when it reloaded I lost a few minutes of data entry (standard text and checklists).

PS  - On the same note, every day im getting 'evernote is draining the battery' on my android phone as well. This have been going on for a very long time, since earlier in the year.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, ashmadux said:

This have been going on for a very long time, since earlier in the year.

...and this is your third post and you're just mentioning this now?  Have you contacted Support abou the issue?

• Level 5

This issue has been on and off, and it is by far not a general issue. We had a pretty long thread of very „engaged“ users assuring each other they are only the tip of the iceberg. But the iceberg never materialized, it was just that rather smallish group of users. An update finally seem to have solved the problem, back then.

I was on a similar computer, same OS, same clients and had no issue, ever.

There are some things to check:

• Some users have reported that disabling spell checking in EN setting brought the CPU load down, and switching it on made it go up again.
  • A high CPU load can be the consequence of a corrupted local database. If the client finds a piece of indigestible data and starts to loop, a high CPU load can be the result. To exclude this root cause, a full uninstall using Revo Uninstaller (Windows) or AppCleaner (Mac) can help. After uninstalling, the computer should be restarted, then the client downloaded from the EN website, installed and logged in. Often persistent problems are solved.
  • It is generally possible that other software interferes, like antivirus, internet security or local indexing / search software. If such software is installed, it should be disabled one after the other to see if this has any effect.

If nothing of this helps, there is support to look into things.

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

...and this is your third post and you're just mentioning this now?  Have you contacted Support abou the issue?

The DESKTOP issue is why I commented. I'm getting updates on the thread and hope there will be a fix soon.

Mobile mention: I put in a ticket for the mobile issue a while back (2 months or so). Delays in syncing and general slowness was part of that ticket. Android, latest build. I received a note/alert in the app note that syncing was being paused because of network issues, and that led to that ticket. There is no app update in waiting. The worst part is that offline notes don't load...which is the whole point of offline notes. I started usung geegle keep just because i can quickly make a note much faster (but the app is still low google quality.)

Thanks for asking, hope that's clear.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Also high CPU ~20-25% right after I create new task, and it doesn't stop.
I tried full uninstall & registry clean up, manually deleting the local evernote folder in user/roaming, but the issue still persists.
Being paid user I'd like to have a permanent solution.

• Level 5

Since you say nothing about your Mac, it's hard to tell.

First the percentage is the percentage of ONE CPU core, not of all computing power available.

Second when I tried on my M1 MacMini, EN came from a low percentage, went up to 12% when the task was saved, and fell back after a few seconds, in steps that may be related to saving and syncing.

Nothing out of the normal.

If you have a different experience, open the activity monitor and EN on the same screen and make a screen recording. Then contact support.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Almost 8 months later and it’s still an ongoing issue for people.

It doesn't help that some folks seem to think that raising it here means Evernote will immediately find the issue and fix it. 

In the past 8 months the organisation got bought out,  laid off staff,  buried in support queries by panicked users,  and moved lock stock and barrile to Italy.  The way to attract the company's attention is to hit 'em over the head with a support request so 1) you get a number and a place in the queue,  2) direct feedback to and from Evernote and 3) get to help Evernote pin down why this is happening,  since it only seems to affect some Mac users.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The most likely reason it that the running process is blocked by a corrupted piece of data, and starts to execute the same code in a loop, endlessly.

It is not a property of the app itself, I run the Mac app on both Intel and M1, and have no issues at all.

Since there are no database repair tools available, the best shot for a fix is to remove the current install, and start with a fresh copy from the server. Log out, quit the app, then run the app AppCleaner to remove all parts of the current install. Restart the Mac, download the installer from the EN website. Install, log in, and n ow keep the app open (can be ins the background) since it needs time to download the full database from the server, for offline use. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

My original point was that complaining here is fine for letting off steam,  but fixing a bug is a two-way street.  Users have to contribute more than gripes and unfounded statements - Evernote can't fix what they can't identify as an issue.  So individual logs and detailed explanations help to focus on the problem.  After that is identified,  its just a matter of coding to fix it.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Most even extend that support to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. 

Most of them don't have 200 million users to support - and before you query that number,  yes I'm sure it's far less now - but we're in a bit of a mini crisis while new staff take over the reigns of a product that they presumably knew little about in detail until a few months ago.  The new management might have bitten off a bit more than they should in one go - but I'd remind you they are an (apparently) successful and well-respected firm in their own right and we have no reason to believe they won't turn this around in a few days.  The forum exists for wild speculation and the blowing off of steam (you're welcome) while the Support tickets are dealt with in order,  with subscribers getting priority.  If you want to hear from staff, it has always been the case that you contact Support directly.  A public forum is not the place to share details.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Literally your words lol. 

But not my meaning.

ChatGPT says... A "misquote" is a term used to describe the act of inaccurately or incorrectly repeating or reproducing someone else's words, statements, or writings. It occurs when a person quotes someone but alters or distorts the original content, leading to a different meaning or context. Misquotes can result from genuine mistakes, misunderstandings, or intentional misrepresentation.

• Haha 1
  • 8 months later...

Same issue for me - Evernote draining my MacBook (air M3) battery from fully charged to 20% in just over two hours. I have deleted it and now sitting on 97% after the same amount of time. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this?

• Level 5

Usually it is a sign of a corrupted local database. One piece of indigestible data causes the app to loop.

Remove the whole install using the App AppCleaner. The usual Mac uninstall will not remove all data from the drive.

If you already uninstalled, first install it again, open and login once, log out again and quit. Then uninstall with AppCleaner, and install a second time.

After the full uninstall all local data is gone, and needs to be downloaded again. After opening the client for the first time let it run in the background for quite a time to allow the download and rebuild of local data.