Evernote no longer starts after Update to 10.57.5.4090

After I updated to the latest version, Evernote does not start at my system anymore.
I do not know, what exact version, I was running previously, but I usually update regularly (may be 2-3 months ago).

Uninstall, Reinstall, Restart of the system, etc. did not solve the problem.

In Windows Task Manager, I can see, the Evernote task appears after start, but then it just disappears without any further message or UI coming up.

In Windows event log, I also cannot see any error message. 

My system is Windows 8.1 (6.3, Build 9600; German).

As a workaround, I did went back to version 10.16.7, which I kept luckily as installation source. I was surprised, that no official download ressources of older versions seems to be available :-( 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Seems like your version of Windows will no longer receive security updates as of January this year.  And Evernote suggests Windows 10 is required for its operation.  You could try a reinstall using Revo Uninstaller to delete Evernote and all its current data prior to a restart / reinstall,  but your best bet short term is probably to use the web version.  Beware if you're a BAsic user,  the web version counts as a separate device,  so you might have to disable an existing device to use it.

Understanding the device limit

Restart => Uninstall => Restart => Reinstall does not help.
Only "Uninstall => Reinstall an older version" helps.

If Evernote decides to no more support Windows 8.1 in new versions, would be OK for me.
The main problem here is, that Evernote itself tries actively to offer me an update to the latest version, which then leads to a broken installation even without any hint, that this version is incompatible with my OS. 

The second problem is, once I followed the suggestion to update to the latest version, I cannot go back to the prevous version, because there is no official download source for this version. Whenever an Evernote update leads to changed OS requirements, it would be good, to offer the prevous version somewhere on official release download sources.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MatthyK said:

Evernote itself tries actively to offer me an update to the latest version, which then leads to a broken installation even without any hint, that this version is incompatible with my OS. 

As @Dave-in-Decatur said,  Electron - the company that helps Evernote code works in different operating systems - recently withdrew support for Windows 7 and 8 for all their corporate clients.  It wasn't an Evernote decision but obviously it has an effect on all users of those old Windows systems.  I don't know whether Evernote Web will continue to work,  but that may be an option for the time being...

I too have the same problem with windows 8.1. As an "expert user" I looked for the solution in the forum. Other less experienced people may not understand the problem. As already written by others, it would be useful to be able to install the old version. An official communication from Evernote is welcome.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, StefanoDS said:

An official communication from Evernote is welcome.

...but very unlikely unless you raise a support query.  While - as someone pointed out in another thread - we're dealing with a different company now,  Evernote so far has only very rarely commented on posts in the forums.  The conversations here (including this one) are largely between users.

I do know that - 

• Electron - the envelope that allows Evernote (and several other apps) to run its code on different operating systems - no longer supports Windows 7 or 8,  both of which are no longer receiving security updates from Microsoft and are therefore a security risk when connected to the internet.
  • Evernote Legacy - is an unsupported system but will (currently) work with W7/8 - without any features introduced over the past 2 years or so.  Compatibility with sync may become an increasing problem as v10 now uses a different format because of RTE (real time editing).  It's a short-term sticking plaster, not a solution.
  • Likewise previous versions of v10 - although they used to work with W7/8 - still use Electron. Reinstallations are not guaranteed to work,  and one of the devs has commented on a different thread that using 'older versions' is not recommended - because of compatibility issues.

Basically unless you join us here in the 24½th century using the latest OS and app versions,  you are likely to encounter some severe bumps in the road.

I realise that for some this might mean serious expenditure - new hardware as well as software.  In the current economies around the world that can't be good news.  I can only sympathise and hope that you can find a way through... :(

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/23/2023 at 3:09 PM, MatthyK said:

Restart => Uninstall => Restart => Reinstall does not help.
Only "Uninstall => Reinstall an older version" helps.

If Evernote decides to no more support Windows 8.1 in new versions, would be OK for me.
The main problem here is, that Evernote itself tries actively to offer me an update to the latest version, which then leads to a broken installation even without any hint, that this version is incompatible with my OS. 

The second problem is, once I followed the suggestion to update to the latest version, I cannot go back to the prevous version, because there is no official download source for this version. Whenever an Evernote update leads to changed OS requirements, it would be good, to offer the prevous version somewhere on official release download sources.

Completely agree. 

My solution: Get Notion, import everything from Evernote. Continue with Notion for new notes. 

Pity. I really liked Evernote's no-nonsense interface. Oh well. 

• 3 weeks later...