Turn Off Sync

WinkyBlinkyNod

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

The answer to each of your three questions is No.

To be more accurate, you could disable Internet access and that would prevent sync from taking place but along with all the other network activity.

• Level 5
9 minutes ago, agsteele said:

To be more accurate, you could disable Internet access and that would prevent sync from taking place but along with all the other network activity.

There is the possibility to disable internet access for certain apps only. To this end a firewall can be used, or a special software build to control network traffic per app. On the Mac I use TripMode, there probably is something similar for Windows. 

• Evernote Expert

My colleague is, of course correct. TripMode was even once available for Windows but no longer developed or supported.

However, I cannot see any reason for using Evernote in an entirely offline mode. Just use your favourite word processor and encrypt your local documents. Most of the key features of Evernote such as search, Real Time Editing, Calendar links, sharing and more demand an Internet connection.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

My use case as the name TripMode suggests is to cut syncing while on a less than stable internet connection. In my case this is while traveling by train. I think that while on a stable network sync should be kept enabled. Syncing only once in a while is usually a prescription for disaster on cloud based services.

• Level 5

All network traffic IS encrypted before it syncs (TLS/SSL).

The problem rather is that if you are on network controlled by others, you have to regard all network traffic to be compromised. If it is a work device, this includes an installed VPN - it could be configured to bypass the VPN while on the company network. Plus everything on device (including local storage) needs to be regarded as compromised. If somebody has Admin powers over your device, nothing can be cloaked. Local storage is worse, because it holds all data, not only the small part that is syncing.

The only solution is to use another, private device (mobile for example), using a different network (again a mobile network should do).

Another option (not as good, but mostly good enough) is the web client, in a private window. This will at least not store anything on the local drive, keeping everything in the cloud. But still traffic could theoretically be attacked through a man in the middle approach (unlikely, but possible).