REQUEST: Bring back v6 type Search Field or ADD "Text" option to Filters Menu in v10 & Filter on Top Notebook in Stack

Carl-L-ND

Idea

Further to my post :

One of the feature I really miss in V6 is the ability to select/highlight one of my notebooks or the top notebook in a stack and then from the Search field in the top of the "Top List" or "Side List" view (not the field at top left side as per V10) type in a keyword.  As you type in the word in V6  it acts like a real time filter to drill down on the word.  Type more and fewer notes show up in the list below.  It was particularly convenient to select the top Notebook in the stack and "filter" all the notes in the sub-notebooks. 

In v6 with View Mode in either "Top List" or "Side List" you get a Search Field at the top of your screen as in the attached example.  When searching from the Top Notebook of a Notebook Stack your results will show what sub Notebooks various notes can be found in.  See attached image.

I see in v10 that individual Notebooks can be Filtered.  But NOT an entire Notebook stack.  And.... a TEXT option is missing from the filters.  I have yet to find a "live filter" methodology as was provided in v6.

Instead I've been using Advanced Search Syntax to search stacks.  It is far less convenient than what we had in v6.

Request:  Bring back v6 type Search Field or ADD "Text" option to Filters Menu in v10 & add Filtering on the Top Notebook in a Notebook Stack

.EvernoteV6Search-Filter.thumb.png.b663c5c16199cb4e505cee26a8be14fe.png

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

If I understand you correctly,  you're describing how search works.  Type 'two' in the search box in Evernote,  and every instance of that word in every note will appear.  Type 'factor' and notes that do not contain both words will disappear from the list.  If you're a Professional subscriber you have Bollean searches to help.  Keep on adding extra words to refine your searches further (or add -keywords to take notes with those words out of the mix). 

Evernote's advanced searches should find anything that you saved - as long as you can remember the keywords you need.  And by all accounts we should eventually be able to ask "what was that security feature I noted last week?" and your AI of choice will get the note for you.

v6 was completely re-engineered into v10 so nothing's 'coming back' anytime soon.  And search is (I would imagine) a very complicated part of the operation,  so it's unlikely to be a high priority to mess with it without very good cause.

If I misunderstood you,  I apologise - but please explain in more detail why you don't think current search options are working for you.

Use advanced search syntax

Use Boolean search for targeted search results

• Level 5

Some additional remarks:

There is no „Top“ notebook in a stack. All notebooks in a stack are equal, the order is a result of alphabetical sorting by name.

V10 brought far better filters, available through the filter symbol in search. The most important addition was the „contains“ filter (both in the filter selection and in the search syntax) that allows to narrow the search down through several criteria.

When I start a search from a notebook, this notebook is selected as filter criteria by default. If I start from „all notes“ view, no notebook is selected. This automatic filter was introduced because users asked for it. And what followed: Requests to disable it again, requests to create a setting to toggle it. Learning: Search is only perfect when it is coded exactly how I want it, burn all the other users who do not see the (search) light ….

What I miss from legacy is just one option: I could select a tag, and see all items disappear that do not contain at least one note with that tag. This was often useful,  it did not make it (yet)into v10 search.

Beside this single option, v10 search is the better search.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

If I understand you correctly,  you're describing how search works.  Type 'two' in the search box in Evernote,  and every instance of that word in every note will appear.  Type 'factor' and notes that do not contain both words will disappear from the list.  If you're a Professional subscriber you have Bollean searches to help.  Keep on adding extra words to refine your searches further (or add -keywords to take notes with those words out of the mix). 

Evernote's advanced searches should find anything that you saved - as long as you can remember the keywords you need.  And by all accounts we should eventually be able to ask "what was that security feature I noted last week?" and your AI of choice will get the note for you.

v6 was completely re-engineered into v10 so nothing's 'coming back' anytime soon.  And search is (I would imagine) a very complicated part of the operation,  so it's unlikely to be a high priority to mess with it without very good cause.

If I misunderstood you,  I apologise - but please explain in more detail why you don't think current search options are working for you.

Use advanced search syntax

Use Boolean search for targeted search results

You're not fully understanding what I was looking for.

I'm not a Professional subscriber.  Never had to be with v6 and now with v10 foisted on us with missing functionality, yes, maybe I might have to go there.

The Search in v10 is not a "live" filter type operation as it was in v6.

In v6  you could type in Bobcat one letter at a time and your results would winnow down on the fly every time a letter is added - no need to press enter to initiate a search.

B 5000 results

Bo 2300

bob 450

bobc 3

and you could backspace as you made spelling changes/corrections and the results would update on the fly.

It is the same functionality as exhibited in the Filter feature of the Thunderbird email client where it acts on the folder you are currently working in.

The problem with v10 Search is that it will initiate the search on the top notebook in a stack but once the search is done, and if you started off with the wrong word it puts you back to "All Notes" and you then have to find and select the top notebook again.  Time is wasted scrolling up and down in the Notebooks on the left side of the screen.

Now, with v10, if you select a sub-Notebook , it retains the Filter for that sub-notebook if you go back to the search field and change the word. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I have 60k notes in 400+ notebooks and I don't have much trouble finding things.  If your main issue is that you need to press 'enter' a few times more more than you used to,  then yes I agree it's a factor - but search works fine.  I disabled 'search while you type' in Legacy because display refreshes interrupted typing in the search box for me...

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Some additional remarks:

There is no „Top“ notebook in a stack.

What do you mean by this?   I think you and I have had this discussion before about "Stacks".

Maybe I'm not using terminology from the Evernote universe and so we have a miscommunication.  Notebook stacking was a big part of v6 and one of the reasons I went with EN for flexibility in managing data.  Let me show you a picture - see attached.

Being able to segregate my Personal notes separately from my Work notes without having to use a tag was key.  I have about 30 Notebooks stacked under "Personal".  60 more notebooks under the "Work" Notebooks.

I'm very aware of the alphabetical sorting of the Notebooks.  That has never been an issue.  But I have several " Top" Notebooks under which many others reside (stacked).

It is much easier in v6 to pull out info especially when dealing with technical terms and their various abbreviations and when a project would involve several entities.  v10 is just not so smooth. 

>WORK-Indirect-Clients   <<  Top Notebook
       Broadcast                            << Sub Notebook
       CATV-Telecom                    << Sub Notebook
 - several hundred organizations grouped in market verticals.

"WORK-Indirect_Clients" has no notes in it other than the ones that reside in the sub notebooks.  It is merely a "Title" notebook for the stack.  I call it the "Top" Notebook in the stack.

Evernote v10 Notebook Stacks.png

@gazumped  it could very well be the functionality I'm looking for is already there but v10 is so different from v6 that the learning curve may be beyond me.  For example, it seems like v6 had more setup options than v10 for things like disabling "search while you type".  I can see that being a problem with searching all 60K+ notes.

FWIW, there is a bug with v10 that when you drop a PDF into a note, certain data fields do not get automatically enumerated.  My workaround is to open the PDF in Adobe Reader and then copy and paste as text the contents into the note as well as dropping the PDF in the note.  It was acknowledged several months ago and is not yet fixed.

So my daily workload entering info into EN pretty much doubled with just this issue.  I'm trying to get some of that time back.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Carl-L-ND said:

My workaround is to open the PDF in Adobe Reader and then copy and paste as text the contents into the note as well as dropping the PDF in the note.

I agree that's a long way around - do you know whether these files are 'searchable' PDF's?  - There are different flavours;  ordinary PDF files have their content as images;  searchable PDFs have mostly text.  You turn an ordinary PDF into a searchable one by OCR-ing the content,  which is possible in some PDF editors (and scanners). 

Evernote will do that for you too - it takes some hours on their server,  depending on how busy things are.  I scan to searchable PDF and always convert other files if they need it before saving to Evernote.  See Tips for searching scanned PDFs for more on that.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I agree that's a long way around - do you know whether these files are 'searchable' PDF's?  - There are different flavours;  ordinary PDF files have their content as images;  searchable PDFs have mostly text.  You turn an ordinary PDF into a searchable one by OCR-ing the content,  which is possible in some PDF editors (and scanners). 

Evernote will do that for you too - it takes some hours on their server,  depending on how busy things are.  I scan to searchable PDF and always convert other files if they need it before saving to Evernote.  See Tips for searching scanned PDFs for more on that.

The  issue was confirmed by EN Support when I submitted a ticket on the issue in July 2022.

It has yet to be debugged.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Carl-L-ND said:

It has yet to be debugged.

Any recent comments on that ticket number?  As far as I know Evernote has OCR'd the few PDF files that I submitted.

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Any recent comments on that ticket number?  As far as I know Evernote has OCR'd the few PDF files that I submitted.

Nothing by email from EN to me.

I've checked the Support pages for a way to follow up an issued Ticket #  and the one page that seemed to be related was a dead end.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005377

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I know there's a URL for all tickets raised,  but on a quick look I can't find it!  🤨

I just reply to an email from the team about that issue,  which (AFAIK) reopens it for them even if they have closed it in the meantime.  Alternatvely you could just test out whether you are still having issues,  and if necessary open a new ticket.  If you've heard nothing since last year,  I think it's safe to say that nothing is being done at the moment.