Description:
After installing for all users on a Windows system with UAC enabled, automatic updates do not install to the Program Files directory.

Steps:
1. Enable Windows UAC
2. Download version 10.56.8-win-ddl-public (4069)
3. Right-click the installer, run as administrator, and choose to install for all users to C:\Program Files (x86)\
4. Launch Evernote and check for updates. Then agree to update to the new version.

Expected result:
Automatically install to C:\Program Files (x86); if it don't have permission, request the user to grant administrator privileges.

Actual result:
Automatically installed to the AppData directory

• Level 5

I noticed this too. I'm pretty sure it's not a bug but a feature. Someone who knows more about Windows technical detail than I do would have to tell you why it has such a "feature." E.g. Evernote support, as @gazumped suggests. Or an online search, since we're probably not the first ones to wonder about it. But AFAIK Evernote works just fine (on my Windows 10 machine) installed where it has mysteriously chosen to put itself.

This is not a feature, but a bug. After the update, the older version remains in the Program Files folder. There will be two versions of Evernote on the computer. Since the initial choice was to install in Program Files, that implies the desire to always be installed there. It should not make choices for the user without their consent.

5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I noticed this too. I'm pretty sure it's not a bug but a feature. Someone who knows more about Windows technical detail than I do would have to tell you why it has such a "feature." E.g. Evernote support, as @gazumped suggests. Or an online search, since we're probably not the first ones to wonder about it. But AFAIK Evernote works just fine (on my Windows 10 machine) installed where it has mysteriously chosen to put itself.

• Level 5

Bug reports should be send to support. We are fellow users, and as @Dave-in-Decatur said are ok when the installer does whatever it does and produces a usable client.

BTW Windows UAC was introduced with Windows Vista (yeah, THAT Windows Vista). The Wikipedia article is under review, and I am unsure if anything related to it has any relevance in today’s Windows versions. Since Windows 10 is outgoing, I think the only design rules that apply are those for Windows 11.