Searching with wildcards

Evernote has this super searching syntax!

I would like to extract some specific data extraction out of e.g. my stored receipts in Evernote (PDF).

Does any one out there have/knows a solution that would work together with super Evernote...?

Thx!

• Evernote Expert

You should have to tell us a bit more about the note names. You can search for all your PDFs but that would find notes that were not receipts but still contained a PDF.

If all your relevant notes contained the word receipt then your search would be for PDFs and receipt. My guess is that some receipts might include the word invoice rather than receipt. So your search would need to be for PDFs which include either receipt or invoice.

Personally I keep account records for a year in a dedicated notebook. Or you could add a tag.

Remember that Evernote only scans the content of PDFs provided it hasn't  already been OCRed by the PDF creating program.

So tell us more about how you create your receipts and name the notes and it should be easy to suggest a search that will get you most of the way there.

But I think using a dedicated notebook or tag would be easier. That will be a challenge too for a Free account. Moving or tagging lots of notes is likely to hit the upload limits quite quickly.

Thx agstelle!

The note containing receipt PDFs (scanned by ScanSnap) all contained the word "Receipt" in the title.

They all include receipts only - no invoice.
I have tagged them with "receipt" and the year and the store name and the purchase type such as "Groceries". And yes they are all in a dedicated notebook. They are easy to find.

But what i would like to do is extract some data out of these receipts (PDF).
For example: date of purchase, (total) amount spend-and export to an Excel sheet for further processing/statistics/prove for taxes and other.

Maybe you have an idea...

Thx a lot.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote doesn't have any way to parse the data it has stored - you could find all your scanned notes,  or all the notes with intitle:receipt 

You could export the notes (and/or attachments) to HTML / PDF or ENEX;  but getting the date and amount from each one would need some third-party assistance.

Based on the current hype,  I'd bet some variant of ChatGPT could do something for you - but you'd have to investigate that angle for yourself,  and NB AI services are not private and are not guaranteed to be accurate.  There's ongoing supervision of responses,  and I've had a couple of cases where responses to my questions were just completely wrong.  When challenged the AI response was "I'm sorry that was incorrect - I'm only a chat service..."

There is another option - a service called Filterize which can extract data from Evernote notes.  Again I'm not sure how much is possible,  but you could have a look here - https://filterize.net/note-filter/  I use the service to tag and sort notes.

Evernote's advanced search syntax is described in more detail here:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828