Making Excel open Evernote links in the desktop app - not working properly

I have an excel file where one of the columns has internal note links to the evernote notes.  I want this link to open the relevant note in the native Evernote desktop app. When I click on them, they just take me to the currently open Evernote main page in the Evernote desktop app.  But they don't take me to the specific note.  What can I do to correct this behavior?

9 hours ago, kkrathi said:

I have an excel file where one of the columns has internal note links to the evernote notes.  I want this link to open the relevant note in the native Evernote desktop app. When I click on them, they just take me to the currently open Evernote main page in the Evernote desktop app.  But they don't take me to the specific note.  What can I do to correct this behavior?

Interesting. The same thing happens for me in Excel and Word. If I Save the word file as a pdf the link doesn't work at all. Links also no longer seem to work from Todoist (Web version). On the other hand copying the link into the Windows Run command goes straight to the correct note as expected. Maybe it is a new security setting in Windows  or MS Office apps but I have no idea how to solve it, although the fact that the run command still works, does suggest a simple workaround using AutoHotKey. The sequence is

Select cell containing the link
Ctrl + C
Win + R
Ctrl + V
Enter

• Like 1

We had already a discussion around new links in EN10. See note link change from October last year - but nothing has gone better since 😞

• in Legacy it is possible to Copy internal links (CTRL-ALT-L) to clipboard
    • and insert it to any other application (Word, Outlook, ...)
    • where it appears as a valid working URL to the note with note title as text and note address (URL) behind.
So far so good - I use this heavily. It's great. Legacy places internal links in clipboard in different formats so that a receiving program may choose a valid representation:
  • Programs that "know" HTML will present a valid hotlink like this (visible text in special colour with an URL "behind" and clickable)
  • dump text editor receive only the URL as text: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s333/nl/55024365/85f05ab8-3a6e-4d89-8620-2a801cc3cff9
  • EN-Legacy itself belongs to the first category but knows about the sender of the clipboard token (EN itself 😉) and presents a valid internal hotlink with an URL of form evernote:///view/55024365/s333/85f05ab8-3a6e-4d89-8620-2a801cc3cff9/85f05ab8-3a6e-4d89-8620-2a801cc3cff9/ behind.

This "intelligence" leads to a special effects

• Internal links seems only "internal" if used inside EN: If I click on such a link, I'm redirected to the note inside EN
    • this is because EN uses URLs in form "evernote:..."
  • If used outside EN, I'm redirected to the note within EN-Web (internet browser)
  • If I want to surely want come back in EN-Legacy-App from outside (Excel, Word, ...),
    • I have to replace the URL behind the link to  the EN-internal form "evernote:..."

EN10 is not as "intelligent" as former EN versions

• in EN10 it is possible to Copy internal links (CTRL-ALT-L) to clipboard
    • but if pasted to an other app, this address appears without note title as text
So far so bad (and this is your problem @kkrathi)
  • in other applications you can see only ugly URL of form "evernote:..."
    • the title text of the note is lost - but can be re-inserted by changing the link the other application (very uncomfortable)
  • If you click on this
    • you are redirected to EN10-App - but very often NOT to the suggested note 😞 😞 

My "very often NOT" leads be to a question back to @gazumped:

When I click Evernote links I generally get the note popping up.

Are you really sure about that? My environment to test this with EN10 is:

• Windows-10, EN10.55.2 after pasting a link from EN10.55.2 by CTRL-ALT-L and CTRL-V to Excel
  • Then change to any other note in EN10
  • Then click on link in Excel...

In my case EN10 pops up but nevers shows the correct note. It remains with the currently open note.

11 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Are you really sure about that? My environment to test this with EN10 is:

• Windows-10, EN10.55.2 after pasting a link from EN10.55.2 by CTRL-ALT-L and CTRL-V to Excel
  • Then change to any other note in EN10
  • Then click on link in Excel...

In my case EN10 pops up but nevers shows the correct note. It remains with the currently open note.

It is difficult not to pin some of the blame on Excel, given that pasting the link into the Windows Run command works perfectly.

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Are you really sure about that?

Hmmn.  I sit corrected - trying that out specifically from Excel leads to only opening Evernote at the last page used*.  From other apps I tried I get the specific note popping up.  I guess I haven't tried that specific link from Excel to Evernote in a while... :(

* ...after a warning:

Excel1.thumb.png.e5bad9152ccbc1611b385a2d7a9a31bb.png

A joint approach to both Supports may be in order?

• Like 1
On 4/13/2023 at 4:43 PM, gazumped said:

When I click Evernote links I generally get the note popping up.  What versions of Evernote and Windows are you running?

Evernote 10.54.4 and Windows 11.  

On 4/14/2023 at 6:50 AM, Mike P said:

Links also no longer seem to work from Todoist (Web version).

It turns out that this was a Todoist issue and I've now got links working perfectly (ie going straight to the correct note) in Todoist. So for me this is just a MS Office problem.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...