Evernote Will Not Open on MacBook M1 (2020) As of Today 11 March

Evernote cannot open on my MacBook Pro M1 (2020) as of today, and gives an error message "Something went wrong on our end" and gives two options: Restart, or Quit.

1. Restart option does nothing but start the doom-loop over again.

2. Uninstalled Evernote, restarted MacBook, reinstalled latest Evernote. Same result.

Now trying to access Evernote on the web, instead. 

Is there a known issue with latest Evernote and the M1 or M2 chip MacBooks? 

Evernote has run fine on this MacBook for several years. 

I was once a long time subscriber, but am now on a Free subscription. Evernote was working on this machine only a week ago, and no OS upgrades have taken place since that time. That I uninstalled, restarted Macbook, then fresh installed Evernote leading to the same failed result seems notable, yes?

Update: still no resolution and I have had to go back to the web interface.

Just noting I was a paying Evernote subscriber starting almost at the time the software launched, before 2010. And the software reliability really ran into trouble which is when I got off a paid membership. As I said a couple of years ago, if things improved, I would return.

Clearly, they have not improved.

• Level 5

You most likely have a problem with the device limit. That’s consequence of your Account status, not of any software problem. I have asked you several times about your devices status (the one you checked, not the one you assume). No answer. So stick to your web client (it’s pretty good since v10).

A regular uninstall doesn’t do the job, if something is wrong with your installation. This is known, case you want to fix it, if there is a problem.

Personally I run the v10 client on 2 Macs, one Intel, one M1, without any problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Still no resolution to the Evernote problem on my MacBook Pro. 

I was one of the earliest Evernote users, a friend got me on during the original beta. I know the application inside and out. I do not need to be lectured by ignorant Hall Monitor types about the multi-device restriction. I know 100% about that, how it works, and how to handle it. 

As usual, however, Evernote really has no Help Desk to speak of. That's why long-time paying users like myself bailed about five years ago. 

• Confused 1
  • Level 5

Actually we don’t care if your problem persists. One just need to look at the thread to understand why.

Posting here you didn’t find a solution is just proof you are unable to solve the problem yourself. Your „deep understanding“ of the old app won’t help you with this one. That’s one hint. The other hint: There is no problem with Mx equipped Macs, EN is running just fine on them.

That's wild and revealing that you came back here to waste more of my time. Your character, the clueless Hall Monitor that doesn't know they are clueless, is as old as the internet. You just couldn't make it at an actual, professional Help Desk, so here you are boxing out old scores from tiffs that you yourself created. I would suggest a second time that you go away, but you have no place to go. I just wish it was possible to block you, and then maybe someone who knows something would feel comfortable showing up. Put another way, F off, idiot. 

Update: I believe I have found a kind of block button. Glory, glory. 🙂

• Confused 1
  • Level 5

So, you'll probably block me too, but ... Since others are using the app on similar equipment without problems, it seems that the issue may be isolated to your machine. Have you contacted Evernote support? Since you're on the free plan, you'd have to use Twitter, or else pay for 1 month to access support. (It's not non-existent, in my experience, and fellow users here really can't offer any help to figure out a problem that seems to be specific to your situation.)

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. I actually came back to report that I finally solved the problem by doing not a simple app uninstall, but a full root-and-branch uninstall, one that digs into the Library files and the file called an Opening-Helper or some such. Had not gone that route in multiple tries. And it just worked! I downloaded the app again after all that work and re-boot. And I am back on the desktop app.

The curious thing about this episode is that Evernote ran fine for a month after the Ventura upgrade. Then it just couldn't open without an error code and a crash.

Nope. Not going to block you. Thanks for your suggestions, which were good and useable. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Glad to hear it's fixed! I seem to remember reading that one of the great things about computers, as they were being developed, was going to be the certainty that, given the same input, a computer running the same program would always produce the same output. :D:D:D

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Just so you don't all think this was a one off, I have the same problem after porting Evernote from my old MacBook to a new M2 Pro. I really don't think any of you should have insinuated the fellow that raised the problem was stupid or wasting your time.  Thank goodness he found the solution and I'm going to try it now.   OK, just tried the recommended solution.  It appears that Apple software does not delete all the entries and I had to manually delete several folders.  After doing that, and reinstalling, it works fine.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, GMacdonald said:

Thanks Dave. I actually came back to report that I finally solved the problem by doing not a simple app uninstall, but a full root-and-branch uninstall, one that digs into the Library files and the file called an Opening-Helper or some such. Had not gone that route in multiple tries. And it just worked! I downloaded the app again after all that work and re-boot. And I am back on the desktop app.

The curious thing about this episode is that Evernote ran fine for a month after the Ventura upgrade. Then it just couldn't open without an error code and a crash.

Nope. Not going to block you. Thanks for your suggestions, which were good and useable. Much appreciated. 

Thanks for this solution.  It solved my exact problem as well, when I upgraded to a new Macbook Pro with M2 chip.