HTML Export - Links to PDF's in Note Not Working

When I export a note to HTML, it creates the HTML file and puts the respective Jpeg and PDF's in a folder.  However, when I open the HTML in browser and click on the icon for the jpeg or PDF, nothing happens?  Rather, I have to go into the directory and find the respective file.  Shouldn't the HTML open the file when clicking on the link to the PDF?

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, elkiehound said:

When I export a note to HTML, it creates the HTML file and puts the respective Jpeg and PDF's in a folder.  However, when I open the HTML in browser and click on the icon for the jpeg or PDF, nothing happens?  Rather, I have to go into the directory and find the respective file.  Shouldn't the HTML open the file when clicking on the link to the PDF?

Sure, this is what HTML is all about!  But, not according Evernote V10 engineers. I reported this bug 2 years ago, and reminded them several times over the years. I always got the same answer that they are "working diligently" on implementing a  basic hyperlink 🙄

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • 2 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 10:59 PM, elkiehound said:

I have reported the same issue today, i hope it will be fixed. Another complaint is that there is no proper identation making it more difficult to understand the structure and possibly make changes (many divs,...a lot of clutter!)

It seems as if the pdf file is sitting inside of a packaged structure which is not viewable by other software.  The packages are labelled "Evernote", "Evernote 1", "Evernote 2" and so on.  When you double click on those you can see each pdf that is contained within.  This means that you have to extricate one by one to work with them.  Hence, unable to merge hundreds at the same time.  I came up with the bright idea of seeing whether there was a third party app that would be able to penetrate the outside structure of these packages and remove them (much like an antibacterial kills the bacteria's cell wall).  I tried various file converter softwares in the hope that they could decode these packages.  Nothing so far has seemed to work.  My hope is that I can find something that will recognize the packaging structure and remove it en masse so that the underlying pdf or other files become exposed and available.  In fact, somebody could perhaps eventually write a simple software to do this?  Obviously this is not my field, so I may be on the wrong track entirely, but here's hoping!
4 hours ago, idoc said:
It seems as if the pdf file is sitting inside of a packaged structure which is not viewable by other software.  The packages are labelled "Evernote", "Evernote 1", "Evernote 2" and so on.  When you double click on those you can see each pdf that is contained within.  This means that you have to extricate one by one to work with them.  Hence, unable to merge hundreds at the same time.  I came up with the bright idea of seeing whether there was a third party app that would be able to penetrate the outside structure of these packages and remove them (much like an antibacterial kills the bacteria's cell wall).  I tried various file converter softwares in the hope that they could decode these packages.  Nothing so far has seemed to work.  My hope is that I can find something that will recognize the packaging structure and remove it en masse so that the underlying pdf or other files become exposed and available.  In fact, somebody could perhaps eventually write a simple software to do this?  Obviously this is not my field, so I may be on the wrong track entirely, but here's hoping!

Yes, and that was the reason that I asked if it would be possible to upload one example of such a wrapped file for further investigation. I can't reproduce your problem. It works just fine in my windows client...

But your problem is not the problem discussed in this thread by the way...

• Level 5

We are talking about the HTML export of one or several notes - correct ?

There is a folder, and inside is a HTML file and a folder with all attachments. The HTML file is looking like the notes, and holds links to all embedded files. The files are in the „inner“ folder, no matter if from 1 note or from many. All files are in the same folder, which means you can’t easily go from there to the HTML code with the relevant link.

However, when clicking the link, nothing happens. Especially no file operation, like highlighting the file or opening it. Since the files are perfectly readable, and the HTML pages are looking fine, the problem likely is in the links pointing at the files.

19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Since the files are perfectly readable, and the HTML pages are looking fine, the problem likely is in the links pointing at the files.

Right, the problem is indeed in the links pointing at the attached file. The solution takes one or two lines of HTML code. 2 years ago, I already fixed one of their exported html files and sent that example to EN support .  So far it hasn't been implemented unfortunately. Last month  they told me that they are still looking for the root cause 😄

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I wouldn’t be able to set up a fix myself, but having some HTML code working in the browser, and having some files that are undamaged and open just fine, it’s not really rocket science that the problem is in the links. I think the issue is just not on the backlog, other priorities or whatever.

There are a few long running bugs of that sort, not nasty but annoying, that I hope will get squeezed one day.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, idoc said:

The packages are labelled "Evernote", "Evernote 1", "Evernote 2" and so on.  When you double click on those you can see each pdf that is contained within.

You can go the folder holding all the "Evernote" files and search for *.pdf.  This should list all of the PDFs in those exported notes.  Highlight and right click for the context menu and your PDF handler may let you combine them.

Context.jpg

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I wouldn’t be able to set up a fix myself, but having some HTML code working in the browser, and having some files that are undamaged and open just fine, it’s not really rocket science that the problem is in the links. I think the issue is just not on the backlog, other priorities or whatever.

There are a few long running bugs of that sort, not nasty but annoying, that I hope will get squeezed one day.

Yes, but now with the current data loss issues, both enex and html backup become more important than ever...

• Like 1

I think I have located the problem. It works on a win 10 machine but not on a win 7. So if i want to export notes on v10, those notes will show up as pdfs on my win 10 machine but not on my win 7. On win 7 all i see are those impenetrable files that need to be manually opened to disgorge the pdf within. Strange.