Why do pdf's not stay as "title" in EN web.

Most of my notes have multiple pdfs and it's very important to me how the pdfs appear within the note.  Here is how it looks in Legacy.  I set it once years ago and have never had to deal with it again.  There are 4 pdfs in this note and I can see each one of them clearly.  Some of my notes have 30 pdfs and I can see them all instantly.  This is not the case with EN web and I think (but am not sure) with ENv10 for windows desktop.

Below is the appearance of multiple pdfs in Legacy:

image.png.4364dc45ee63d16caf8add21e5aa23a6.png

However, on EN web (and I think also v10 for win desktop) the same note looks like this.  You are only seeing the first pdf because it monopolizes the entire view.  I need to scroll to the bottom of this view to even see the second one, then the third, then the fourth....

image.png.4d50cf9ee1ae128bb3c664db9a27f28b.png

I don't know why it comes out this way since the Note preference for PDF's is set for "Title"
image.png.cfe493816d2438184cf468b2d5b72dd4.png

On the other hand, v10 works nicely on the iphone, and all the pdfs are title.  If anyone knows how to fix the problem so that pdfs appear as titles on every platform?
image.png.7775b2cb4481bbae121870bd165ac042.png

In my limited testing, it appears that the preference setting is only respected for future notes, not past notes. You can change how past notes appear by clicking in the top bar of the previewed pdf and then selecting the "..." menu and from there selecting "Title."

If you are still getting PDF previews with new notes and your global setting is set to "Title," then I would ask how are you inserting the PDF files into a note? I vaguely remember hearing about a bug that caused PDF preview images to appear when PDFs are inserted a certain way, and not when inserted another way. You might try a few different ways of inserting a PDF and seeing if that makes a difference.

If none of that helps, I suggest you open a support ticket as you may have found a new bug.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

There is a known bug with the PDF view preference which depends upon how the PDF is attached to a note in the Windows app. Drag and drop a PDF into a note and the view respects the preference setting. Drop the PDF onto the notebook and a new note is created but the PDF will take the one page view.

• Like 1

Yes, I assume it's a bug.  By the way, manually changing the appearance of the pdf doesn't always work.  For example, there are many of them that I manually changed to one page view but still wind up with the other view at a later point.  On the other hand, Legacy always respects the view 100%.  I have never seen any pdf related issue on it.  Also, I love the ability to instantly export hundreds or even thousands of pdfs in Legacy directly into a directory folder where I can manipulate them at will.  For the old-school crowd who love to work with pdfs, Adobe Acrobat etc there is no question that Legacy is still better.  I prefer v10 for the bells and whistles ie: tasks, reminders, scratch pad, backlinks etc but I always fire up the old Legacy whenever I need to do actual work.