Why has The Table of Contents been removed?

Why has the Table of Contents merging option been removed from this latest version????

This is vital for my business and I cannot understand why it doesn't exist anymore.

Merging the notes on to one long note is unsatisfactory and very clumsy. And it's hard to know what notes are there without scrolling all the way down to find them. 

It's also not possible to change the Title of all that long list of notes - it will only accept the first top note as the title for all the notes below.

Please would you reinstate this.....!

Thank you

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005667-Create-a-table-of-contents

• Level 5

What do you want to do ?

Describe it in simple words, instead of telling what does not work.

Second TOC on mobile was never a sound option (NEVER means NEVER), because on any mobile client you could only open or select 1 note at any time.

Only the desktop clients allow multiple note selection, which is important to efficiently create a TOC.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well, it is slightly more complicated, since the new viewing options were released.

You should set the viewing option for Evernote Links in the app settings, Notes to "Text". This will show the link as plain text, in green, underlined.

If you have it set to title or preview, the links will instead insert as "attachments" or even as previews. But there is a trick to convert them into text links without a need to open them all individually: Right after inserting, press ctrl (on a Mac: cmd) - Z, to undo. What it will undo then is the conversion of the text link into something else, and the inserted links will show again as plain text, green, underlined.

You can both copy the link as app link or as web link - for me both worked for the TOC creation. It just means if you use the app link, clicking will open the note in the app, if it is a web link, the web client will open. So I would stick to what you like better (for me it is app links).

What is slick - and this is new in the new version of EN - is that formatting works on a TOC as on any other text. You can for example create a numbered TOC, by simply selecting the TOC and choose the "numbered list" option. Indent some TOC positions, and the numbering will follow the new structure.

Or if you use the TOC for reviewing notes, you can use the checklist format. This will add a checklist-box in front of each item, and (depending on your settings) strike out the entry when the box gets checked. You have an easy overview of your progress. The strikeout is visual only, the link to the note ist still working, checked or not.

When you hover over an entry to the TOC, a 4 dot handle will appear right in front of it. You can grab it and move the whole line up or down the list. This only works when the TOC was formatted, not without the formatting.

And now the moste useful new TOC feature: Each entry is a link, click it, and it takes you to the note. OK so far. But now we have got Backlinks ! This means that from every note included in a TOC, we can jump DIRECTLY to the TOC note ! This works if you go to the note from the TOC, but it works as well when you are just opening the note as usual. When it is part of a TOC, there will be a Backlink behind the Backlink Button (top right), where you can go directly to the TOC note without a need to search for the TOC note. It is right there, and if the note is linked to several TOCs, there will be several backlinks. These are created automatically, right when you create the TOC.

I think: How COOL is THIS !

Just some of the possibilities - this is why I believe that TOC never was as good as it is today in v10.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, atomicdog said:

What about the part that only 100 notes can be selected at a time?  How do you effectively create a Table of Contents then ?

I'm intrigued to know how you use a TOC with over 100 items. I'm really not sure that was ever the design intent.