What is the best way to highlight text on Evernote Mac or Evernote on web? Does anyone do this or is it too troublesome?

Or would it be better to get a web highlighting tool, like Diigo, which has some privacy issues, or highlight in PDFs and then import to Evernote?  

What is the point of having notes organized in folders and pdf's if you can't get to the info you want?  Frustrating.

• Level 5

You can highlight any text in a note: Select the text, then click on the highlighter tool.

You can highlight any text in a pdf: Open the pdf in annotation mode, select the highlighter tool, mark what you want to highlight.

That it works differently is due to the different technology applied: In the note the property of the selection is changed to „highlighted“. So select first, then highlight. The pdf annotation really adds transparent „ink“ over the text, that remains unchanged.

@nels - From reading your post you ask: "What is the best way to highlight text on Evernote Mac or Evernote on web? Does anyone do this or is it too troublesome?"

Highlighting text in a note is as simple as selecting the text you want to highlight and then clicking the highlight button in the menu bar:

image.png.a62512156086659aa0e36f9e79a86216.png

But then you ask "Or would it be better to get a web highlighting tool, like Diigo, which has some privacy issues, or highlight in PDFs and then import to Evernote?" and it makes me wonder if you are talking about highlighting text *only* in PDFs? If that is the case, you can use the built-in PDF highlighter as long as you aren't on the Freemium plan. (For Mac you can also use Preview or whatever default PDF viewer/editor you use to annotate PDFs.)

image.png.d1bb1730786eeff5bd7e8654ef3f3778.png

And then you say "What is the point of having notes organized in folders and pdf's if you can't get to the info you want?" which in my mind relates to search results or something?

Perhaps you could clarify what it is you are really trying to do: highlight text in a note yourself, highlight text in a PDF yourself, or view highlighted search terms from a search result or something else?

• Like 2

i have a question on what i thought he was asking.  when i use web clipper, on the resulting clip i cannot highlight and the toolbar for that is greyed out.  Also, i tried to do LVL4's advice but coldnt find the Edit & Annotate to highlight the clip.  what am i doing wrong or where am i not looking?   thanks

• Level 5

To edit a web clip you need to simplify it first. Click on the title bar of the web clip, a small menu will show. Click on the magic wand.

This will convert the web clip into a simplified version, removing most of the formatting. The simplified content can be edited.

You can’t return to the original web clip. If you want to preserve it, duplicate the note first, before you use the magic wand.