Adding/removing a tag should not change the Updated date

boneycur

Idea

I just added a tag to bunch of notes made over the past couple of years that I found by searching for a common word. Unfortunately, I did this in the latest update of V10 rather than Legacy, and all the notes now have today's date in the Updated field. (This is such a non-standard implementation that it didn't even occur to me that this might happen.)

Any chance that we can return to the Legacy policy of NOT changing the Updated date when adding or deleting tags from notes?

Fortunately, Legacy still works and I can correct the Updated dates for all of them there, but what a hassle!

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

One can argue if setting tags is an update to a note. Tags are metadata, but they are important to notes. Often the tags content itself is not found in the notes body, so it adds a significant information to the note. On the other hand, tags are not in the core note content, so updating may seem overdone.

It basically can't be decided if the update field should be updated or not.

They threw a coin, and you see which side was up.

If you want to communicate with EN staff, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.

Here is a related thread with lots of discussion on it with 21 upvotes: 

Also, here is a discussion from 2017 where some were asking for legacy to actually change the Update field when a tag is changed:

I'm with the don't-change-the-update-date-field-for-metadata-changes team. Related, I also would like to be able to change the update date too. But I've adapted and work ok with it the way it is too. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3
On 2/4/2023 at 10:58 PM, Boot17 said:

Here is a related thread with lots of discussion on it with 21 upvotes: 

Thanks for this, Boot17. I do like the idea of it being optional, especially after so many years of no date change being the normal function. Not having it as an optional setting will be more problematic once the Legacy version dies...

On 2/5/2023 at 2:15 AM, PinkElephant said:

They threw a coin, and you see which side was up.

Regarding such important behavior of older versions there is no need to threw coin. It's a MUST to retain this functionality.

• Level 5

... if I do a tagging job, it comes handy that the date is refreshed. It all depends on the use case.

That anything that had been "done" on older software needs to be retained is a myth - especially when a software was 100% recoded, as v10 was. The behavior must be consistent to know what will happen - that it does. In fact it is much better on this than with all the legacy versions before, where the behavior of software carrying the same name depended on the platform on which it was used.

The rest is personal preferences, that can be debated at will.