Editing Templates

Nicole BH

Idea

Rather than having to save templates as new files each time an edit is made, users should be able to edit the template directly. It would save time and be so much faster than the current overcomplicated template editing process.

• Like 6

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Nicole BH said:

Rather than having to save templates as new files each time an edit is made, users should be able to edit the template directly. It would save time and be so much faster than the current overcomplicated template editing process.

Hi.  It hardly seems complicated to start a new note with the 'old' template,  make your changes,  sync and then save the template again.  Surely that's about what you'd have to do if clicking on a template opened it up directly - and the current process means that If you don't like what the new version looks like,  you can always just send it to the Trash folder instead...

On 1/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, Nicole BH said:

Absolutely agree! So awkward having to 1) start a new note, 2) populate it with template, 3) make needed changes, 4) save note as new template, 5) delete old template, and 6) delete new template note, if not needed immediately. Would be so much easier if we had direct access to the template gallery (how about a dedicated spot on the left-side navigation menu!) where we could preview a template, make edits, and hit save. So much simpler!

• Like 2

I agree, it's a pain in the a$$ to edit templates, as there are so many hoops to jump through to open a note, load template, edit template, save template, delete note, open a new note, open template gallery, and delete old template.

The process could be so much easier, if there was a dedicated template gallery to basically create/edit/save templates directly. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, J3chapman said:

if there was a dedicated template gallery to basically create/edit/save templates directly.

Am I missing something obvious here?  The steps currently required to open a new note,  then open, edit and replace a template are substantially the same as would be required to... open, edit and replace a template.  It's just that step to open a new note first.  One operation different. - And I bet if it was easier to change templates,  some users would be here complaining that they 'accidentally' deleted something important and now need a way to recover the old layout.  It would be convenient to be able to do this,  sure - but it isn't exactly high on my fix list... 

I think this sums it up if I'm following the thread correctly:

Right now you have 6 steps to "update" a template:

1. Create a new note
  2. Apply the template that you want to edit to the new note
  3. Edit the note
  4. Save the note as a new template
  5. Delete the old template
  6. Delete the note created in Step 1

Instead of the hoped for 3 steps:

1. Load the template
  2. Edit the template
  3. Save the changes to the template
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

I think this sums it up if I'm following the thread correctly:

1. Create a new note
  2. Apply the template that you want to edit to the new note
  3. Edit the note
  4. Save the note as a new template
  5. Delete the old template
  6. Delete the note created in Step 1

Instead of the hoped for 3 steps:

1. Load the template
  2. Edit the template
  3. Save the changes to the template

Exactamundo, I am constantly tweaking my templates, and it it's just a pain, it could be so much easier. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

Hmmn.  But surely we're talking about single clicks here - I'd forgotten you need to sync a note before you can save it as a template,  so a couple of clicks there but the difference is three or four clicks - and how often do you need to change templates?

Just now, J3chapman said:

I am constantly tweaking my templates

...Hmmn.  I sit corrected - again.  Have you considered maybe a free text expander like Phrase Express?  (others are available) - you can pre-save standard phrases to be rolled out at the press of a key,  and even insert pauses for user-input to allow for names and dates to be added.  

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  But surely we're talking about single clicks here - I'd forgotten you need to sync a note before you can save it as a template,  so a couple of clicks there but the difference is three or four clicks - and how often do you need to change templates?

...Hmmn.  I sit corrected - again.  Have you considered maybe a free text expander like Phrase Express?  (others are available) - you can pre-save standard phrases to be rolled out at the press of a key,  and even insert pauses for user-input to allow for names and dates to be added.  

If it was just text, I wouldn't mind that much, but I have several tables in each template note that I use and I often edit them to accommodate my needs as they change.

Having a dedicated template gallery would be better as you can just click on a specific template and edit and save. 

• Level 5

Make a template notebook, use empty, formatted notes as templates, duplicate them to get a fresh copy. If you want a new template note, modify and duplicate it again.

The „real“ templates are not designed to be permanently edited - that’s not their use case. Cutting clicks from a process that is out of scope, and will only benefit a handful of users (until now Zero votes in favor …)  makes no sense.

Hello everybody,

I´m new to this forum and would like to wish everybody a wonderful day.

My question: Does anybody know how i might assign tags to a template for good? I have tried but must find that as soon as I have saved the notes to templates the tags are gone. Even the notebook I have assigned to a template too is set to standard notebook after it has been saved.

For me, the sense of a template is that it is dedicated to a special task in my work and a fully equipped note would make it easier to  start  working on this specific task with a dedicated and fully tagged note.

If this is not possible, do others of you miss this too?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, SeaTea said:

If this is not possible, do others of you miss this too?

Hi.  Three ways to create a template:

1. use the built-in feature to save your own (if you subscribe)
  2. create a 'template' notebook and save empty but formatted notes there. Duplicate or Copy your template note(s) as required.  Use Copy to assign to another notebook
  3. create a template note and export to ENEX.  Save to desktop - double-click to create new note.

The 'duplicate' method will save titles,  tags and any formatting.  More here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001929468

If you want to get other users to vote on variations of any of this,  please start your own votable thread.

• Like 1