Auto capture using camera is stuck in a loop

Hi all,

Using the app for many years now but never had this issue, nor do I find if it was reported.
I'm using Android 13 on Samsung A52s, the app version is 10.46.
I have restarted my phone, deleted cache, and then even uninstalled > reinstalled the app from the play store. Nothing helps.

Once I select 'Auto' and point it at a shopping receipt or a business card > it marks the borders of the text/document > changes to "Capturing" and keeps rolling forever.

Weirdly, I figured I'll simply take a photo instead, but then the nicely auto captured receipt appeared. So it kinda works eventually, but it feels like the whole app is stuck while "Capturing".

Any troubleshooting steps known for for this?

Thanks

• Evernote Expert

I don't use the camera feature very often but always use Photo rather than Auto.  I just tried Auto and, whilst it took a few moments in the discovering stage, the capturing process was perfectly speedy.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem.  I too have been using (as a paid subscriber) for many years.

Motorola Moto G Power
Evernote Android v 10.46
Android v 11

Once I select 'Auto' and point it at a shopping receipt or a business card > it marks the borders of the text/document > changes to "Capturing" and keeps rolling forever.

When this happens to me, I cannot even cancel. The "capturing" rotation icon keeps going forever. The only way out for me was to press the take photo button. As you described, that took the photo with cropped border, but not clean and clear with black & white like it did before. In this case it is still in color and is also washed out.

Since the major overhaul version change, the Android version has been very slow, but has been barely usable. Now with this problem, the app is not worth having, as I rely on Evernote for keeping paperless receipts. 

• Sad 1
On 1/31/2023 at 12:46 AM, amsterplan said:

I am having the exact same problem.  I too have been using (as a paid subscriber) for many years.

Motorola Moto G Power
Evernote Android v 10.46
Android v 11

When this happens to me, I cannot even cancel. The "capturing" rotation icon keeps going forever. The only way out for me was to press the take photo button. As you described, that took the photo with cropped border, but not clean and clear with black & white like it did before. In this case it is still in color and is also washed out.

Since the major overhaul version change, the Android version has been very slow, but has been barely usable. Now with this problem, the app is not worth having, as I rely on Evernote for keeping paperless receipts. 

Well, that makes two of us. Let's wait for more to report it, and hopefully the company will notice it here somehow.. 🙂

Same problem here. I almost never [intentionally] use EN auto capture, so it doesn't bother me so much. But sometimes the EN camera starts in auto capture mode by itself(!???), and then it usually stucks in that endles loop - and the only way out is to close the whole EN app 😕

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Barcelona said:

Well, that makes two of us. Let's wait for more to report it, and hopefully the company will notice it here somehow.. 🙂

Generally speaking, these forums are user-to-user; though Evernote staff may look in at times, this isn't the regular channel to report bugs directly to them. That would be https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. It is open to people with paid subscriptions, but certainly the more people who report the problem there, the more attention it is likely to get.

• 1 month later...

I submitted a support ticket about the problem and the tec said they were aware of it and would fix it in an update.

On another note; I finally replaced my old phone, and Evernote is running fine on the new one... I had many performance issues on the Moto G Power since the new major version release of Evernote. I had reinstalled the app a couple times on the G Power but it (EN) still performed SLOW and buggy. Now with the new install on the new Andoid phone it works great! I know the G Power is a less expensive phone, but EN should be designed to run on it well in my opinion. Not everyone can (or wants) to afford a $800 phone.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 3/8/2023 at 5:39 AM, amsterplan said:

I submitted a support ticket about the problem and the tec said they were aware of it and would fix it in an update.

Did you get it fixed? (I still have the same problems as before)