Fix Syncing!

aronbarcelona

Idea

Please, please, please, for the love of god, fix syncing issues!

It simply doesn't make sense that making two edits in the same note on different devices, where these edits are in no way in conflict with each other, consistently causes the duplication of the note.

Apple Notes and a trillion other tools handle sync issues of exactly the same kind simply by incorporating both changes to the single note.

It's literally incomprehensible to me that a note-taking software whose main selling point is that it works across devices, in practice – doesn't work across devices!

Needs to be fixed, ASAP.

5 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

There are many discussions of this issue. The Evernote sync is now relatively elderly. It uses an approach that was adequate 15 years ago but things have moved on and the prevalence of mobile devices exacerbates the challenges.

A new sync process is currently in test alongside a collaborative editing mechanism so that multiple users can edit a note together simultaneously.  This is working in beta quite well I understand and at least one user has reported that he found it resolved the problem with note conflicts.

Of course, beta tests also reveal problems and I suspect that there are still some issues to fix before full release. But it is in hand.  Until then you can avoid conflicts largely by ensuring a note is only open on one device at a time. That certainly works for me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

There are many discussions of this issue. The Evernote sync is now relatively elderly. It uses an approach that was adequate 15 years ago but things have moved on and the prevalence of mobile devices exacerbates the challenges.

A new sync process is currently in test alongside a collaborative editing mechanism so that multiple users can edit a note together simultaneously.  This is working in beta quite well I understand and at least one user has reported that he found it resolved the problem with note conflicts.

Of course, beta tests also reveal problems and I suspect that there are still some issues to fix before full release. But it is in hand.  Until then you can avoid conflicts largely by ensuring a note is only open on one device at a time. That certainly works for me.

I hope they take their time with this change. I'm eager to enjoy the improved sync, but this is a massive change that could cause more issues than it solves, so I hope it's rock-solid before they release it. That said, if anyone from Evernote is reading, I'm willing to beta test if Evernote wants to expand the current test group. :) 

• Like 1
On 1/13/2023 at 2:34 PM, agsteele said:

Yes, I agree on "things having moved on". Indeed Evernote's 'freemium' model is basically built on better functionality across devices, so it's madness how poorly it works.

Four months, and about 50 duplicated notes later (I have 302 duplicates in my trash right now), nothing has changed. Do you have a timeline for general release of this new sync process?

1 hour ago, aronbarcelona said:

Do you have a timeline for general release of this new sync process?

@agsteele mentions something about it that I saw in this post from Friday (at least the multi-user editing part which I would think is packaged together with a syncing overhaul)

But I haven't heard any chatter in these forums or on Reddit since then.

• Like 1