Maps in Evernote

Igor92128

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

If you create a note in the mobile client, and have GPS active, it will grab your location where the note is created.

In note information on mobile will be a map showing the position, using the map service preferred by your device (iOS Apple Maps, Android Google Maps).

• Like 1

Unfortunately this data is not viewable on the desktop client, unless you have subscribed to the professional plan. Even the coordinates are not viewable in the note information. However, if you download the enex file and open it with a text editor you will see that the coordinate data is there. This approach seems strange and inconsistent - if I can see the data in the mobile client I should be able to see the data on the desktop, even if EN wants to reserve "geographic searching" as a professional feature.

• Evernote Expert

Since mapping was withdrawn from Legacy some years back I infer that it is too costly, rarely used or both to provide mapping inside a note.

An ability to click a link which opens a map in an installed application might work. I'd look at What3Words. But I don't see mapping ever returning given previous experience.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Since mapping was withdrawn from Legacy some years back I infer that it is too costly, rarely used or both to provide mapping inside a note.

An ability to click a link which opens a map in an installed application might work. I'd look at What3Words. But I don't see mapping ever returning given previous experience.

I would be more than happy just to be able to see, and then copy, the longitude and latitude for the note. I do feel it is my data and EN is stopping me (easily) accessing the data, by choosing not to show the longitude and latitude note-attirbutes in the desktop clents, although they are exportable to enex.

image.png.cdc915af4bbff15d203a4060ca863b20.png

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert
57 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I would be more than happy just to be able to see, and then copy, the longitude and latitude for the note.

I was speaking to the OP's request to display a map. I don't think that will ever return. Since it isn't a feature that is remotely valuable to me I haven't explored the functions available to Professional plan users. I think that is just a search capability in desktop but if it is accessible to Pro payers then I guess it has been determined that it is something you pay for if you want it.

Not commenting on whether that's good or bad. But equally there are always things we feel we want and should be included in whatever plan we are on rather than having to pay more for that one feature. ;)

13 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Not commenting on whether that's good or bad. But equally there are always things we feel we want and should be included in whatever plan we are on rather than having to pay more for that one feature. ;)

Valid point. I think the line I draw is thet if EN has added value then they have a right to add it to whatever tier they like. I have no problem with geographical search being a professional feature. Similarly I have no problem that the clever fuzzy text recognition data is no longer available in the enex but is hidden away on the server. I do feel it is wrong to simply deny access to a piece of data that I (technically my phone) have added to the note. You cannot even copy the coordinates in the mobile versions where the location is displayed on the map. 

It's not a big issue for me personally and I can always extract the data from the enex if I desperately need it. I seem to remember that the advanced search syntax for location (latitude:, longitude: and altitude:) still work although I haven't checked recently

• Like 2