Disappearing Notes Bug

It's kind of a scam that notes will sometimes disappear, and the only way you can retrieve them is by using the History Function, which is a paid subscription, or by sending a help desk message, which is also a paid subscription. To be clear, this isn't a sync issue - this is using the web interface, often on a newly created note that has been "saved" multiple times during the session already - but randomly you'll come back to the note at some point, and all the content will be gone (but available in History for a fee!). What horribly unreliable service, when you can't even trust the most basic function it offers - note taking.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Slide said:

notes will sometimes disappear

using the web interface, often on a newly created note that has been "saved" multiple times during the session already

randomly you'll come back to the note at some point, and all the content will be gone

Hi.  I don't know how to make any sense of your description here - you're losing bits of new notes that you come back to after a period?  And the missing content is in Note History?  If you have subscribed for long enough to use Note History I can only suggest that you take the opportunity to submit your activity logs to Evernote so they can verify where (and whether) these issues are happening. 

In my experience its very rare for note content to go missing without some error from the user,  and this behaviour is certainly not a repeating issue for many (if any) other users.   If you're using Evernote for any sort of serious purpose,  it makes sense to subscribe to get access to the History and Support features and the various extended limits.  Free use is mainly intended for trial purposes and for very light use,  and if it seems not to be  suitable for some activities,  it makes sense to find something else more applicable.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes during a web session I have gone back to a note, often one that was created recently, say the last hour, and the content will be gone. The title will still be there, but the content is gone. What’s not clear? - I have been a user of Evernote for years (a decade?), and haven’t needed its extra data or other capabilities. I subscribed this one time to see if the data was still in “note history” and it was.  This losing of data happens every so often in my experience. When I searched online initially, seemed like other users had data lost. Not sure what user error there could be - all I’m doing is writing my notes, saving the note, going to other tabs in the browser, coming back and writing more. I’m not accidentally deleting them myself, it’s not a syncing error, and notes automatically save every few minutes or whatever - that’s supposed to be a fail safe. 

This isn’t a question of light or heavy use (?). The most basic function of Evernote is to take notes. If it is prone to losing those notes sometimes for whatever reason, and if there’s an easy way to get those notes back (history), then why is Evernote making money off of a bug by making you pay to get those notes back that it lost? You can’t even send them a support message without subscribing, I believe. 

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Slide said:

You can’t even send them a support message without subscribing, I believe. 

You are correct.  It takes funding to run a support team,  and since Evernote already assign free software and free storage for some users,  they seem to believe that enough is enough.  I'll repeat that I've seen no evidence of random loss of data in normal use,  but using a web browser based application and 

27 minutes ago, Slide said:

writing my notes, saving the note, going to other tabs in the browser, coming back and writing more

...suggests that maybe the installed app would be a safer option.  I can only suggest that if you're concerned about this and want to continue to use Evernote,  it would be better to subscribe - even if only for a month or two - so that you can report any issues to Evernote Support and maybe help them work out what is happening.

13 hours ago, Slide said:

why is Evernote making money off of a bug by making you pay to get those notes back that it lost

That's not the primary purpose of version history at all, but it does happen to be a side benefit. For the record, I've never had to use version history to restore content that all of a sudden went missing (as I've never had content just go missing. I also don't use the Web version too often -- maybe it's more prone to have issues like that...?)

• Like 1
On 11/29/2022 at 5:03 AM, Slide said:

all I’m doing is writing my notes, saving the note, going to other tabs in the browser, coming back and writing more. I’m not accidentally deleting them myself, it’s not a syncing error, and notes automatically save every few minutes or whatever - that’s supposed to be a fail safe.

What exactly do you mean by "saving the note" ?

Were you still in that note when you switched to another tab in your browser?

Which browser do you use?

• Like 1