URGENT: How to deal with duplicate notes in Mac?

Go to solution Solved by John in Michigan USA,

EN: 10.46.7-mac-mas-public (459469), Editor: v158.2.19526, Service: v1.58.7

Due to bad Wifi, I've created a duplicate note.

1. It doesn't show up in the search intitle:"Conflict" Instead, I sometimes (!?!) get a light blue popup notice bar that tells me there appears to be a duplicate note, click here to see it...but when I click nothing happens. WTF. Is this a known issue? Work-around available?
  2. In the Win EN client, I open both copies of the duplicate note in full screen, then use Alt-TAB to cycle repeatedly between them. This causes any differences in the notes to become obvious. Then I manually copy and paste until I'm sure I've got the content I wanted from both notes. Then I delete the duplicate note, sync all devices, wait a bit, and sync again to be sure there are no pending conflicts and everything is in sync. In the Mac client, I have found no way to have two EN notes tiled side by side, or to flip back and forth in full screen. Is there a way to do this?
  3. If not, what is the recommended way on EN for Mac to detect the subtle differences between notes that fell out of sync?

Your urgent reply is appreciated. This conflict happened because I was in the driveway, about to leave on a critically important trip, only to find the note I'd used to organize that trip had fallen out of sync. So far this has cost me an hour's delay (and I feel like I am not yet close to solving it!)

2 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

You've listed the version of your OS, but not the version of Evernote on MacOS. Assuming that it is version 10...

3 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

It doesn't show up in the search intitle:"Conflict"

I don't believe that duplicates in version 10 put the word "conflict" in the title. It seems like it appends a "Copy" at the end of the note (Copy 1, Copy 2, etc) I may be misremembering, because it doesn't happen enough to me for it to solidify I guess.

4 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

If not, what is the recommended way on EN for Mac to detect the subtle differences between notes that fell out of sync?

Open each note in a new window.

image.png.d2701a585bf35a45d9a79e62f2455177.png

Put them side by side and then you can use Cmd-` (Command + Back-tick. It's the key to the left of the number 1 key.) to toggle between two windows of the same application.

• Solution
26 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

You've listed the version of your OS, but not the version of Evernote on MacOS. Assuming that it is version 10...

Thanks for your quick response! The line below that, begining with EN: has the EN for Mac client version info

26 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Put them side by side and then you can use Cmd-` (Command + Back-tick. It's the key to the left of the number 1 key.) to toggle between two windows of the same application.

I have only the two notes open in EN. Both are full screen. Cmd-` doesn't seem to do anything in this mode. Should it?

I was able, with great difficulty, to get Mac to tile the two notes vertically so they are both on the screen, both the same size. If both are in full screen mode, tile command under the "Window" menu is greyed out. If one of the notes is in partial screen mode, the tile option is clickable, but it doesn't seem to be very smart. You have to put BOTH notes in partial screen mode, then the tile command will do as expected. Once tiled, I still couldn't get the Cmd-` toggle to work, which would have saved me a lot of clicking. Nevertheless, once I figured out tiling windows within an app, I was able to solve my original problem. Thanks.

Any idea why cmd-` doesn't seem to work for me?

Edited by John in Michigan USA
minor clarification, mark as solution
27 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I don't believe that duplicates in version 10 put the word "conflict" in the title. It seems like it appends a "Copy" at the end of the note (Copy 1, Copy 2, etc) I may be misremembering, because it doesn't happen enough to me for it to solidify I guess.

If the conflict is detected in the legacy EN app for Android, it puts the string "Conflict" in the note that it considers to be a duplicate/conflicting note. There is probably different behavior in newer Android, iOS, Win and Mac clients!

• Level 5

To compare 2 files on the Mac you need to install Xcode (Wow, I thought, that's something - 7.7 GB ! But it's for free, in the AppStore). This means unless you have MS Office / Word, or some 3rd party utilities.

Once you have Xcode, in the developer tools you find the FileMerge application. It allows to compare 2 files. So copy the text from note 1 into a text file, the same with note 2. Then compare the 2 files using FileMerge to make it detect the differences. Will work for the notes body, not the attachments. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

The line below that, begining with EN: has the EN for Mac client version info

Ah- my bad. I thought that was the Windows client version for some reason and completely missed the "mac" part in the version screen.

If both are in full screen mode

Yeah- Cmd-` won't work in full screen mode since each window is moved to it's own virtual desktop. You can make the window full screen size though and keep it on the same desktop. Perhaps there is a way to do that natively, but I use a Mac-window tiling tool called Magnet to do it with a keystroke.

Once tiled, I still couldn't get the Cmd-` toggle to work, which would have saved me a lot of clicking.

Here is a quick YouTube clip that explains and shows it working: https://youtu.be/H7BoSWr8u3w?t=155

You can also google Cmd-Backtick (some people call it Cmd-Tilde too) to get more info.

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What did you want to do by ⌘ ' ?

On Windows he makes the two duplicate notes full screen and then uses Alt-Tab to cycle between the Windows to visually see the differences between the two notes. (Ctrl-Alt-Tab goes in reverse) That's how you do it on Windows -- Alt-Tab cycles through every single window. On Mac, Cmd-Tab cycles through open Apps -- not windows. If you have 5 windows open in one app, Cmd-Tab is only going to hit the active window of the App before moving on to the next app. But Cmd-` will cycle through only the visible windows of the currently active app. Windows doesn't have that concept. So if he were to only have two Evernote windows open to the same size exact size placed on top of each other - he can use Cmd-` to visually see the difference.

• Like 1