No notes found? Confused about the Evernote search

Go to solution Solved by bmcl26,

I'm a bit confused about the Evernote search. Take the following pictures as example, I copied the tile of one of my notes, and later I wanna to go back and edited this note. So I pasted the whole title to the search bar, the suggested note appeared in the dropdown list, but the search results showed nothing.

I thought it might be the non-English characters, but it was not. The search worked fine when I tried few other mixed strings in Chinese and English. The second picture shows that after I deleted few characters and the results finally came out. So I start to worry that some of my saved notes would not be searchable. Any suggestion?

Snipaste_2022-09-16_11-03-39.png.a17a2d90b93638c300d6d6709e47d4ff.pngSnipaste_2022-09-16_11-27-07.png.f2daf0b9462f42d08997c71cc9bc604f.png

• Level 5

Search in EN works based on a logical AND. While you add more words you, the number of results goes down fast. Plus the search index doesn’t hold all words, those regarded as fillers or too common are excluded.

You could try at which point search falls to zero by starting with a few words, and adding more. In western languages this works pretty good. I am not aware if the Chinese language plays a role here - but it is a interesting question. Sort of algorithmic cultural bias, maybe 🤔 ?

3 小時前, PinkElephant說:

Search in EN works based on a logical AND. While you add more words you, the number of results goes down fast. Plus the search index doesn’t hold all words, those regarded as fillers or too common are excluded.

You could try at which point search falls to zero by starting with a few words, and adding more. In western languages this works pretty good. I am not aware if the Chinese language plays a role here - but it is a interesting question. Sort of algorithmic cultural bias, maybe 🤔 ?

Thanks for your suggestion.

I thought EN should treat my above example as two words and try to find notes which contains all of these words. Based on a logical AND as you said. This logic is basic and must be performed, but it seems I'm wrong. Don't understand why the search engine ignore some words😂.

• Solution
33 minutes ago, HarryWu said:

Thanks for your suggestion.

I thought EN should treat my above example as two words and try to find notes which contains all of these words. Based on a logical AND as you said. This logic is basic and must be performed, but it seems I'm wrong. Don't understand why the search engine ignore some words😂.

If you want search to look for both words included  enclose them in  "quotation marks"  it will then retun all otes that contain the phrase in Quotes.

• 1 month later...
在 2022/9/16 在 PM6点39分, bmcl26说:

If you want search to look for both words included  enclose them in  "quotation marks"  it will then retun all otes that contain the phrase in Quotes.

Yes, this way works with "quotation marks". I was just curious why keywords with no quotes returns fewer results than keywords with "quotation marks".

Since this rarely happens, I've left it alone.

I'm a very new user to EN 10 having recently found out that EN was not supporting the Legacy 7 version. I guess my bifocals missed multiple announcements in the last 12-24 months. Not sure how but that's another topic.

I'm not sure if I should post here or start a new message so perhaps a frequent forum user will help me out.

I'm trying to learn EN 10 by just using it but maybe there are some transition notes. If so, I'm listening.

My current two frustrations trying to adapt to EN 10 are:

In the Legacy version for me, it was much easier to move a note from one notebook to a different one. Something I do very frequently. Is there a similar easy way in the new version.

The other is the search function. In the legacy version one could add tags and I believe other filters to the search entry, in EN 10 I don't find that feature.

Thanks very much for any assists for this EN 10 beginner.

• Level 5

We all started one day to switch from legacy to v10 (except the Newbies here). So don‘t worry, you will like what you find.

Move a note to another notebook: The most efficient way is probably by keyboard shortcut. Moving a note is by ctrl-cmd-M. You find the keyboard shortcuts in the apps help menu, or in the left side panel, right at the bottom, behind the little keyboard symbol.

Or you move the mouse over the name of the current notebook, just over the notes title. When it is over the notebook name, to the right a note symbol with an arrow appears. Click it to move the note.

Or when you have the notebook list in the left side panel open, and a list of notes in the middle panel, just select a note, pick it up with the mouse and drag it to the new notebook. You can select several notes to be moved at once using the cmd-key, or a range of notes using the shift-key when clicking on the list. In v10, the maximum of individual notes selected is 50.

Search filters: Just type a searched word into the search field, hit Enter. The search results will show. Above the list at the right are symbols, among them a funnel. Click on it: A List of filters shows. You can add filters as you want by selecting them from the categories. Added filters show as blue buttons above of the search results. Click the X on the blue button to remove a set filter.

A new option that was not available in legacy is the „Contains“ filter. It allows to filter for different content types, like Audio, Code Block, PDF, Office Files, Reminders and the like. So if you know the note is there, and it contains a web clip, you can filter for the key word and show only notes holding a web clip inside. Very convenient, very powerful.

• Like 1

Thanks. Very helpful.

I now know some additional ways and features in Move.

However, in the Legacy version, it would keep the most often used Notebooks at the top for a Move. Is there a way to do so in the new version?

Search info very helpful.

Is there a good video tutorial of all EN 10 features with or without the changes from Legacy?

Thanks again.

• Level 5

Check out the official Evernote channel on Youtube.

They have a lot of videos about v10. Some are about one feature only, maybe 1-2 minutes. Others cover a little wider area, maybe 7-9 minutes.

A lot of older tutorials won't serve the purpose any more, because they are talking about the legacy clients. Everything older than 2 years can be discarded for that reason.

Personally I like the tutorials from @Stacey Harmon and from @vladcampos . Not everything is for free, but you get a lot of insight.

• Thanks 1