Auto Title Population

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Is it just me? I am finding the auto title population very annoying - I type the first letter of the title I want to give my note and Evernote either fills the title with something inappropriate or moves me to a completely different note.  Am I doing something wrong????

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

The autofilling of the title field only works …

… when something is already in the notes body, either typed or prefilled. EN will use the first line of text, or everything until the first period in that first row.

… when the title field is still empty (or do you want to have the existing title overwritten ?)

If you do it right, you enter something into the notes body and then click / tap into the title field. The first line (or part of it) will be grabbed and placed into the title filed. It is selected then, so if you don’t want to use it, it is one stroke, and it is gone.

Autofilling will never take you to another note.

Hi - thanks for your comments and information, appreciated.  It was my habit to import my note template before I filled in the title which I think was causing me the issue - I will now enter the title first.  Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for pointing this out: if you use a template to start the new note, Evernote will grab the first line of the template as the title. Pretty dysfunctional. For all the people who've been begging for auto-titling, this implementation may be a boon, but for the rest of us it is pretty much a mess.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I wouldn’t make a problem out of it: Any newly created title is automatically selected. It is one tap or keystroke to remove it. And you can change the template or add text before you click into the title field. The autotitle will only happen when you switch editing to the title field - changes placed in the first line of text will then be grabbed, not the original template text.

As it was no drama when autotitle did not exist, the current implementation is not giving headaches either.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

I wouldn’t make a problem out of it: Any newly created title is automatically selected. It is one tap or keystroke to remove it. And you can change the template or add text before you click into the title field. The autotitle will only happen when you switch editing to the title field - changes placed in the first line of text will then be grabbed, not the original template text.

As it was no drama when autotitle did not exist, the current implementation is not giving headaches either.

Not a headache, exactly, but maybe just an annoying ringing in the ears. I will adjust my process to accommodate it ... until Evernote improves it or makes it optional, and then I'll readjust. A First World problem, definitely.