Evernote makes DNS lookups

I found that my evernote application sends DNS lookup queries to ifconfig.io domain via port 53. Searching I found that evernote only needs port 443 and 80 to work properly (Link) so it looks weird. My question is: does evernote need to do dns lookup during its operation and in which case?

Edited by Sophie U.
Removed link to third party app
  • Level 5*

Hi.  No special information here - we're mostly users in the Forums;  best place for actual technical information is via Support.  However I'm not surprised that Evernote 'phones home' on launch - you're dealing with a server-based database and background syncing - it seems reasonable that there would be some admin and security aspects to deal with on connection.

• Like 1

Thanks Gazumped. My interest was to know if in your experience Evernote will usually reach out to sites like that (ifconfig.io) for DNS resolution. Is it something common or not? Also could you tell me if opening a support case has requirement like I have to be a customer. We only use the application with the free version. Could you help in this too.

1 hour ago, C-18 said:

Thanks Gazumped. My interest was to know if in your experience Evernote will usually reach out to sites like that (ifconfig.io) for DNS resolution. Is it something common or not? Also could you tell me if opening a support case has requirement like I have to be a customer. We only use the application with the free version. Could you help in this too.

You need a paid plan to contact support.

Port 443 and 80 are usually just for web traffic. Loading web pages & getting info from a server. Never used 53 before so no idea.

They may be checking location or something... I presume everything works OK with your Evernote?

• Like 1