Annotation Summary for annotated PDF Not Displaying Properly

When annotating a PDF is anyone seeing results like the attached?  The document is about 13 pages and I have made 18 annotations on 6 pages.  The annotation summary seems to fold back on itself as if it is too long.  If I open the PDF in an external program everything looks fine and the summary works as expected  (clicking an annotation summary jumps to the correct place in the PDF.). I have tried toggling 'include annotation summary' on and off and quitting and restarting Evernote (web app and desktop Mac app) but no joy.  Thanks for any help that you can provide.  

Screen_Capture_-_Aug_1__11_12_AM.png

• Evernote Expert

From the description I think you are saying that you have added ammotations in an external program but when displayed inside Evernote this problem arises. It remains OK in the external program if you reopen the PDF from inside Evernote.

THis could well be an issue between the PDF program you use and the PDF reader that is built into Evernote.  I recall, in the past, that annotations I made to PDFs in FoxIt Pro did not display well inside Acrobat Reader. The basic PDF standard works well enough but the add-on stuff such as forms and annotations less so.

I think you'll need to open a support ticket and provide the fullest detail if anyone is to be able to advise you further.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

From the description I think you are saying that you have added ammotations in an external program but when displayed inside Evernote this problem arises. It remains OK in the external program if you reopen the PDF from inside Evernote.

THis could well be an issue between the PDF program you use and the PDF reader that is built into Evernote.  I recall, in the past, that annotations I made to PDFs in FoxIt Pro did not display well inside Acrobat Reader. The basic PDF standard works well enough but the add-on stuff such as forms and annotations less so.

I think you'll need to open a support ticket and provide the fullest detail if anyone is to be able to advise you further.

I use Adobe Acrobat DC and annotate and edit PDF using this by opening them in EN .  When I close the file itsaves the changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I just chose Annotate for a pdf that was in a Note. It opens the EN Annotate program. While it might be 'external', it is a part of EN described as a 'feature' of EN that I pay for. 

I made notes and highlighted some text and saved it. Back in the Note, I found the same garbled appearance, looking just as you said: upside down and backwards, overlaid on the pdf content.(see below) The pdf was no longer accessible for opening or downloading or further annotating. (Beyond pages covered by the upside down and backwards overlay, I could see and read the rest of the pages of the pdf.) As far as I can tell, it ruined the pdf. (If I didn't have the original pdf in a hard drive folder, I'd be SOL with loss of the document. If I double click the top bar of the pdf, it opens in Adobe reader with an error "An error exists on this page. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem." However, as I scroll down, it looks ok and shows the list of annotations first, and then gets to the annotated pdf, just as I hoped it would. 

(This might be the first time I used the embedded pdf annotation 'feature'. I have found it cumbersome and time consuming to add text notes, but this time I was determined to make it work. When I was done, I thought it was ok because I put in the time to make it ok. Then this happened and I find myself here to see if I'm the only one. I'm not. That doesn't make me any happier.)

Update: As I am writing this, I am revisiting EN and that note. At this point, I did see the usual options in the Note, at the top bar of the pdf, and I was able to select Edit & Annotate and it looks just as I left it. Good! This time, I unclicked "include annotation summary" (at the top right) and I did not get the upside down, backwards overlay. So I'd say I'm ok, but what happens with "include annotation summary" cannot be what was intended, so it ought to be looked at and fixed.

BTW, I was using EN app ver 10.42.7 on a laptop PC, using up-to-date Win 10.

Here is what it looks like:

image.thumb.png.f13d19e92c1f69794a73ccfa63a9a52e.png

• Level 5

I would say: Something went wrong on annotating the pdf.

The best way would be to use note history to move 1 step backwards, and annotate again.

Personally I use the "Open" dialogue on my Macs client, and annotate in the Preview app. Much more powerful and clean.

• 1 month later...

I am struggling with this problem intermittently. I annotate in Evernote (using 10.46.7 version). It only happens occasionally. I need to confirm, but the problem seems to be when I'm using work computer (windows) vs home computer (Mac).  I've tried opening and closing the document, evernote, and restarting my work computer. 

Is this a common problem? I have found multiple threads with this general issue and several comments from Pink Elephant. 

On 8/21/2022 at 12:20 PM, PinkElephant said:

Something went wrong on annotating the pdf

I'd love to get a resolution. I'm using this note taking app for my medical residency. I can distill 50 pages of reading into a few SOLID paragraphs to refresh in the months ahead. 

TIA

Here's one of the recently affected notes: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s576/sh/e56bacab-8468-47ed-a88d-dd38a7cec940/5b6a416955b3148383e0bd272b6665bf