Embedded photos not working

I am a premium member and have been using Evernote since 2012.
From time to time I find this problems, but I've just postponed adressing them.
I use the latest Windows version 10.40.9 and I have the same problem on my IOS Evernote app also.

A lot of my (older, but not only) notes look like this, which is unacceptable.

So many of the embedde photos from my notes are not accessible anymore. (Those were print screens most likely, which appeared just fine at the time I created the notes, but after a while something happens to them :(

When I put the coursor over them, I receive the following message: "Image could not be rended properly"...

Screenshot (54).png

52 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Check on the web client if the photos are accessible on the cloud master copy of your data.

Contact support. Good luck.

They look the same everywhere 

• Level 5

Then what you can try is to recover an older version of such a note, using note history. When you open the note, it is behind the 3 dots menu top right. Access to note history is a subscribers feature.

You can reset to an older version, or create a copy of the note with the older version.

The downside is you need todo this note by note, no bulk reset available. But first thing is to check if older, complete versions are available.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

...but definitely raise this with Support - it's possible that the format of your older images is not compatible with the latest version of the software - which IMHO (and as someone who's also been saving images in Evernote for a long time) is a potential bug.  I've never had this problem myself (yet) but it would be nice to give the team a heads up that it needs to be fixed...

• Evernote Expert

A little diagnosis... Copy one of these non-functioning images to the desktop. Ensure it has a working name and file suffix. Can you open this inside a image editor such as Photoshop or built-in Windows Paint?

If it opens OK then try resaving it using Save As. Now move that newly saved version of the image back into Evernote. Does it now display?

It is possible that when they were originally saved they were formatted in a manner that no longer displays. If saving via a newer program does the trick then this will be something you can feed back to Evernote.

Also, if it works, you could gradually fix the issue by right-clicking the broken image in Evernote, choose Open, then force a save (Ctrl+S) back into Evernote. That may also do the trick.

As others have said, raise it with support whatever. The more information you can provide the better for a diagnosis.

15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Then what you can try is to recover an older version of such a note, using note history. When you open the note, it is behind the 3 dots menu top right. Access to note history is a subscribers feature.

You can reset to an older version, or create a copy of the note with the older version.

The downside is you need todo this note by note, no bulk reset available. But first thing is to check if older, complete versions are available.

I've just did that (I didn't know about this possibility, thanks!), but unfortunatelly, no luck - the pictures look the same.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

...but definitely raise this with Support - it's possible that the format of your older images is not compatible with the latest version of the software - which IMHO (and as someone who's also been saving images in Evernote for a long time) is a potential bug.  I've never had this problem myself (yet) but it would be nice to give the team a heads up that it needs to be fixed...

I will definitely send this to the Support (when I figure out how to do it 🤪) if I don't find a solution here.
I don't even remember what kind of images are those (they might be screenshots from my desktop in Windows, or from my (old) iPhone, or photos imported from different cameras/phones, or - most likely - different clips taken with diverse extensions (like Awesome screenshot in Chrome - that I use lately).

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

A little diagnosis... Copy one of these non-functioning images to the desktop. Ensure it has a working name and file suffix. Can you open this inside a image editor such as Photoshop or built-in Windows Paint?

If it opens OK then try resaving it using Save As. Now move that newly saved version of the image back into Evernote. Does it now display?

It is possible that when they were originally saved they were formatted in a manner that no longer displays. If saving via a newer program does the trick then this will be something you can feed back to Evernote.

Also, if it works, you could gradually fix the issue by right-clicking the broken image in Evernote, choose Open, then force a save (Ctrl+S) back into Evernote. That may also do the trick.

As others have said, raise it with support whatever. The more information you can provide the better for a diagnosis.

It would be nice if I could do this - I would be able to solve these issues in time, but unfortunately I can't do anything with them -  I can't open them, I can't download them,  they didn't even preserve their original name at least, so I can guess what they are - they all are "called" "Untitled attachment" now...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When I attach an unknown file format, it will show as a file, but no more. When I select it, I get the options to download the file from the note. Either by the download arrow (bottom right), or via the 3 dot menu (bottom left). The picture was taken from the iOS client on my iPad.

This should be possible for you as well, even if the file is corrupted and contains only random bit noise. But to see if this is the case, downloading to the desktop and trying to open it there is worth a try. If it opens, and shows content, it is at least not completely corrupted.

The possibly widest range of picture file formats on Windows knows the little app Irfan View. It is sort of a Swiss knife for pictures and to a lesser extend video files. Even the remotest and unusual picture formats - Irfan can read and convert it.

F389252B-77FD-43F6-9D04-33F2983371A3.thumb.jpeg.02fc5881fe7cb4b31699cdc81f13f1f3.jpeg

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

When I attach an unknown file format, it will show as a file, but no more. When I select it, I get the options to download the file from the note. Either by the download arrow (bottom right), or via the 3 dot menu (bottom left). The picture was taken from the iOS client on my iPad.

This should be possible for you as well, even if the file is corrupted and contains only random bit noise. But to see if this is the case, downloading to the desktop and trying to open it there is worth a try. If it opens, and shows content, it is at least not completely corrupted.

The possibly widest range of picture file formats on Windows knows the little app Irfan View. It is sort of a Swiss knife for pictures and to a lesser extend video files. Even the remotest and unusual picture formats - Irfan can read and convert it.

F389252B-77FD-43F6-9D04-33F2983371A3.thumb.jpeg.02fc5881fe7cb4b31699cdc81f13f1f3.jpeg

Thank you for trying to helping me, I really appreciate.

But you see, in your exemple, the image has a name, it look like you can do something with it.

Mine don't have a name even. I tried to download them, but there's nothing happening (I wish they do - I am familiar with Irfan View, I use it every day and indeed it is a good viewer for all kinds of odd extensions.). 🤷🏻‍♀️