Handwriting App Integration w/Evernote

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Any good android handwriting apps that fully integrate with Evernote? I know some apps like Samsung Notes or Noteshelf on Android have a sharing/publish feature but that is more or less only a way backup option. I am using a company issued Samsung S6 so for work I have to use OneNote. For personal, I use Evernote. But was wondering if there was any apps that have a sync feature as well as perhaps have the ability to edit the shared note in Evernote, if needed? I know Evernote has a handwriting function (which is still clunky on android, imho) and they have compatible apps for IOS like Penultimate or Noteshelf 2 but there doesn't seem to be much for Android. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you. 

• Level 5

Penultimate is ... OK if you have nothing else.

Noteshelf sort of syncs with EN, some like it, others (like me) think it is not the pink.

The Sketch function build into the app is made for sketching, not for handwriting. It lacks the typical functions of good handwriting apps, like palm recognition, OCR on input and ink smoothing.

To wrap it up, even on iOS I would always resort to a dedicated app for handwriting, and forget about this integration stuff. I use GoodNotes 5, and when done export a note or notebook to EN, complete with full OCR and search ability, as a pdf. I can continue to annotate it in EN - to make changes, I need to go back to GoodNotes.

On Android: No idea. But I think it may be still easier to find some handwriting app, than to find one that does integrate smoothly.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

...what PE said...  though if you're not wedded to actual stylus input there are other options like Rocketbook - a reusable handwritten notebook that uploads content to a variety of cloud services including Evernote and Dropbox. https://getrocketbook.co.uk/ 

Or go old school with actual paper and pen* - to be scanned later by the Evernote camera.  Oxford Notes,  for example... https://www.my-oxford.com/gb-en/revolution 

* The only genuine infinite battery life solution... 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

.... just think about when uploading any pictures of handwriting, that it must be JPG, PNG or GIF. EN will OCR handwriting only when saved as pictures (this means you have a bunch of them in a note, each one a single page).

It will not OCR handwriting when uploaded as a pdf.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips.. Since i use an Android tablet, any ios apps would not be an option and as you said @PinkElephant the sketch function in EN is more for drawing and still is too basic. So I will stick to Samsung notes then export as an image or pdf as needed. Thanks everyone for the feedback. 

• Like 1

Hey Scott 

not sure if this helps: but I recently started to work with Nebo.app by MyScript. This is the OCR engine behind many other handwriting apps. Nebo is available in both iOS, Windows and Android. Although not really integrated if allows me to easily write notes and convert to text before or during export to Evernote. That way I can write my notes when I am In meeting during which I do not want a huge laptop in my face or by quickly jotting down a graph. My handwriting is terrible but the software gets it. Makes it easy to export to Evernote and make is searchable. (Evernote would recognize my handwriting as well but this has a better appeal). 
might want to give it a try if you are looking to take some drawings, sketches or handwritten notes prior to storing them in Evernote 👍🏻  Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1