New notebook has six numbers after the name -- ??

• Level 5

Check to see whether you have another notebook with the same name. I just tested by creating a new notebook with a name identical to an existing one, and sure enough, after it synced it got 6 numbers at the end of the name. Tried again with a different notebook, and got 6 other numbers, which seem to be randomly generated.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Feature I'd guess, to help us keep our systems straight. I personally have about 35 notebooks and know them well enough not to make duplicates. But I'd certainly rather have random numbers at the end of a notebook name than two with the same name. The numbers obviously draw attention to themselves and alert the user to fix it (or at least notice it).

• Level 5*

Not sure - I've tried to duplicate a notebook name in previous versions,  and got a 'name already in use' error which allowed me to make a different choice there and then. Getting a new notebook123456 name means I get the point - but then I have to go rename things as a separate action...

• Like 1

Yes, I found out that I had given a new notebook the same name as a notebook in another stack.  I deleted the older notebook and renamed the new notebook without the numbers, and all is well.

Mystery solved.  Thank you to everyone who replied.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I created a new notebook---not a duplicate notebook name and Evernote put numbers in parentheses after the name. I deleted the notebook, the notebook no longer showed up in my notebook list, closed the app, and tried to create the same notebook again and once again there were numbers after the notebook name---but different numbers. I forward emails to Evernote using @notebookname in the email subject line to put them in the correct notebook. I give the notebook simple names I can remember. I do not want to have to look up random digits after the notebook name before forwarding it. Please help!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you tried adding a number yourself?  <notebook02> or something.  If that gets numbers added on,  there may be another cause for the changes...

The numbers in parentheses are usually added by the system to distinguish between files with the same name. It's like a version number or a unique identifier to avoid naming conflicts.