New notebook has six numbers after the name -- ??

• Level 5

Check to see whether you have another notebook with the same name. I just tested by creating a new notebook with a name identical to an existing one, and sure enough, after it synced it got 6 numbers at the end of the name. Tried again with a different notebook, and got 6 other numbers, which seem to be randomly generated.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Feature I'd guess, to help us keep our systems straight. I personally have about 35 notebooks and know them well enough not to make duplicates. But I'd certainly rather have random numbers at the end of a notebook name than two with the same name. The numbers obviously draw attention to themselves and alert the user to fix it (or at least notice it).

• Level 5*

Not sure - I've tried to duplicate a notebook name in previous versions,  and got a 'name already in use' error which allowed me to make a different choice there and then. Getting a new notebook123456 name means I get the point - but then I have to go rename things as a separate action...

• Like 1

Yes, I found out that I had given a new notebook the same name as a notebook in another stack.  I deleted the older notebook and renamed the new notebook without the numbers, and all is well.

Mystery solved.  Thank you to everyone who replied.

• Like 2