Suddenly unable to upload pdf

I scanned several documents without a problem, suddenly I got the message (freely translated from Dutch): "file type with the name Scan-2022-05-29_110258.pdf cannot be uploaded to Evernote, try zip version" . Previous scans with the same name format did not give any problems. Scanner is Brother ADS-1700W.

Also I noticed that I cannot open previously scanned pdf's with Preview anymore.

I restarted everything, checked for updates but problems persist.

Can anyone help?

Thanks 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not a Mac user, so can't really help (my colleagues should be along soon...) - but did anything change recently?  Updates / new installed apps / odd errors?

• Level 5

I have a Mac, and I run a scanner. So far, so good.

But I don’t know the Brother scanning solution, and I never had error messages like this with my Fujitsu ix500.

So let us see if we can get closer to the problem: Please describe your scanning process.

And please add your subscription status.

Thanks for the reply.

It happened in between scanning of different documents. The first ones got accepted with a similar filename, then all of a sudden, evernote 'refused' tot accept an identical file name. I noticed that I couldn't just drop the file into evernote anymore when I picket it up from the images map on my harddrive. If I try this with another pdf file I could still drop the file into Evernote.

I had no problems with this scanner for more than 2 years, and I did not change anything to the process

Finally, I just cannot open a pdf from within evernote anymore (which usually uses Preview as default app). This happens also with older pdf's scanned with a Fujitsu scanner and somewhat different file names. So it seems something with pdf handling has gone wrong.

This is the version of Evernote that's on my computer:

10.37.3-mac-mas-public (459085)
Bewerker: v147.0.18080
Service: v1.52.4
© 2019 - 2022. Alle rechten voorbehouden

I have an iMac 27", late 2014, MacOS 11.6.6. Big Sur

• Level 5

Thanks for sharing more details. What I still don’t exactly understand is the way how you upload Scans into EN. 

There are several ways to do so, so maybe we do not talk about the same process if I just assume how it is done.

Does the Brother software create each file with a unique file name ? This is usually done by adding date be time to the file name - making it practically impossible to have the exact file name twice. 

Apart from this, EN is not sensitive to duplicated file names. You can add the same file under the same name several times to a single note, and it just keeps adding them. No need to change file names, like in Finder, where in a single folder never 2 files can exist with the same file name.

• Level 5

About which app to use: When you use the Finder to open a pdf file, and make a right click (secondary click) on the file, you get a Dropdown menu.

Select „Open with …“. Now a list of apps that can open a pdf will show. Which app is in the Top position ? It should carry the word „Standard“ behind the apps name. This is the app EN uses to open any file from the internal „Open“ process. For pdfs it should show the Preview app as the Standard. If it is not, you may want to reset it to Preview. 

To set it, choose „Others“ at the bottom of the app list in the Dropdown box. You get a view of the apps folder, and below it a program type selector. Under this field is a checkbox „ [] always open with“ . This makes the app you pick from the list the standard app for this type of file.

Thanks for the reply.

It happened in between scanning of different documents. The first ones got accepted with a similar filename, then all of a sudden, evernote 'refused' tot accept an identical file name. I noticed that I couldn't just drop the file into evernote anymore when I picket it up from the images map on my harddrive. If I try this with another pdf file I could still drop the file into Evernote.

I had no problems with this scanner for more than 2 years, and I did not change anything to the process

Finally, I just cannot open a pdf from within evernote anymore (which usually uses Preview as default app). This happens also with older pdf's scanned with a Fujitsu scanner and somewhat different file names. So it seems something with pdf handling has gone wrong.

I did not have much time today to puzzle my way out of this. However, I changed from Preview to PDF Expert as default pdf reader, and at least I can open the pdf's in Evernote again. I did clear all the workflows in my Brother scanner and installed a new one, but even with PDF Expert as default the scanned pdf's could not be added to Evernote with the same message. 

• Level 5

About how to get Scans into EN: Since the import folders were released for the Mac, I am using the import folder function to import my scans. Works very well - after scanning I rename the created file with a „good“ file name (in the ScanSnap Manager software used for scanning and OCR), that the import folder process will use as the title for the new note.

Maybe give it a try. If you want more than one scan in a single note, you can merge them in EN Mac later on.

• Level 5

About the pdf opening:

To check whether a file opens at all, or is corrupted, you can save it to disk (desktop), and try to open the file from there. If it opens, the file should be correct, then it is an issue with the app used to open it. If it doesn’t, the files themselves are (somehow) the problem.

No idea about the problem with the (standard) app to open the pdf. It works just fine for me on my MacBook - MacOS 12.4, EN Mac 10.38. I have Preview selected, but had done it with PDF Expert as well - both worked without any problem. I like Preview, it is the easier app for low level editing. PDF Expert is fine to really edit a PDF - in this case I export the file from EN, and save it back later.

If you can’t solve the problem, contact support, and save and send an activity log showing your attempts to open the PDFs.

Thanks!!!!

I followed the advice with the import folder, and it seemed to work again. I scanned a few documents, and they all ended up in Evernote as expected. Then suddenly it stopped working. Pdf's ende up in the desktopfolder, but were not transferred to Evernote anymore. There was a flash of a red pop-up for a fraction of a second that said that something was wrong with my account.  I checked the connection to the desktopfolder, seemed to be normal. I tried to drop the pdf's from the desktop folder into Evernote, but all files remained grey as if they have not the correct filetype although some of them were already correctly imported just before.

When I open a file from the desktopfolder with PDF expert and print it directly to Evernote it seems to work (even though the filename is the same except that it ends ...pdf.pdf). 

I also checked my account, but it was payed for until next year. 

I really appreciate your effort and swift responses. 

• Level 5

I had to reset my import folders a couple of times over several months. They seem to choke from time to time - have not found a pattern yet. But it is one link to recreate in settings, and it works again.

BTW you can have more than 1 import folder, each linked to a different notebook.

• 1 month later...

The support team has found the solution and it works fine again: 

we think the issue you are running into is due to the known issue with our Mac App Store version of Evernote. We are working on that. This issue should be resolved when you reinstall our direct download version from our website

To reinstall Evernote for Mac, follow these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote app
  2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on the Trash and select Empty Trash
  4. Restart your computer
  5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from www.evernote.com/download
  6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
  7. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Again, thanks for all the support

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

No, uninstalling by the OS process is not enough, both on Windows and on the Mac. There are settings and data files that will be left behind. The next time the app is installed, it finds the old files, and this reproduces the problem.

On the Mac the app App leaner is a good choice, on Windows it is Revo Uninstaller.

• 1 month later...

Over the past few days I have been experiencing a similar issue.  Any file I put into my upload folder (Windows 10) imports into Evernote and then when it tries to sync with the cloud it gets removed from the imported note with the message "Unable to upload.  One or more attachments could not be uploaded.  A copy has been saved to your local filesystem".

I have tried removing the upload folder and creating a new one, reinstalling Evernote and rolling back to a previous version.

Could this be related to a firewall rule that is blocking the upload of attachments?  Unsure how to move forward on this issue.

• Level 5

Do you still have a sufficient upload margin in your account to be able to upload anything ?

Free users have only 60MB per month, but even subscribers can run out of upload capacity when pushing a lot of stuff into their account. Personal has 10GB per month, Professional 20GB. When exhausted it will set back to 0 when your regular 30 day cycle renews. You can check the status in account information.