Shortcut to a specific note on Windows 10 desktop

• Level 5

Apologies if I'm asking something obvious. I just finally installed Evernote 10 on my Windows 10 laptop. I want to create a shortcut on the Windows desktop to a specific note, and have that note open in its own window. I tried the familiar method I use in the older Evernote ("legacy") program on Windows 7: copy the note's link, then paste it into a new shortcut created on the desktop. This works, but it opens the entire Evernote program window, focused to the note in question (and takes a surprisingly long time). Is there a way to configure the shortcut so it opens the note in a separate window?

• Evernote Expert

I'm not aware of any method to open a note in its own window other than double clicking the note in the note snippet column or via the Note menu. So the only route to your desired end is to create the shortcut as you have described and then double click the snippet to open the separate window. If this is a function you need then I would suggest it via the usual channels although you'll need to work around for sometime I would imagine.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks, @agsteele, I'll do that. I have a "To do today" note that is best used in its own window, and handy to go to straight from the desktop. It's only one more step to use the desktop shortcut, then double-click the note in the Note list, so only slightly less convenient. I see that in the old desktop program there was an option under Navigation to open note links from another application in a new window, and I suspect that restoring that is what I'm actually asking for.

EDIT: In fact, such a request already exists:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Well, here's an interesting development. If a note has a reminder, Evernote will pop up a notification in the bottom right of the screen. When you click that notification, the note in question opens up in its own separate window!! So it is technically possible.

• Like 1