Create new Tags from the clipping dialog

olee22

Idea

Screenshot_20220412-203149_Evernote.thumb.jpg.0befe8a17c70857c6faee545c86470ae.jpgWhen sharing an article to Evernote, the clipping dialog pops-up. When I add a Tag, I can only select existing tags, I cannot create a new Tag.

To add a new Tag, I have to exit the clipping window, go to the main app, create the new Tag, go back to the original article, share to Evernote again, and then select the new Tag.

This is so painful. When I do research and collect materials for a new topic, I do need to create new Tags depending on the content. However, I don't always know beforehand all the tags that I will need.

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

In the mobile sharing function (which was redesigned since the posting in September 2021) there is no way to create a new tag.

And it is no web clipper - it uses the sharing functionality of the OS. The web clipper exists for desktop browsers only, and it uses the EN API, not an OS function. Using the API, it has account access and can use more functions than the mobile clipper, that only drops content into the apps inbox.

Thanks for the good explanation. Yet, it is quite a negative not being able to add a new tag. Since tagging seems to be a major feature point for notes, this is quite a drawback. Is there no possibility of being able to add it somehow?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I think not. The Share function is something inside the OS. So you'd have to persuade Apple/Google to enable the necessary abilities and then get Evernote to pick up on this.

For this reason you, whilst you can suggest it via Feedback on the app, it is unlikely to arrive.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2022 at 2:43 AM, PinkElephant said:

And it is no web clipper - it uses the sharing functionality of the OS. The web clipper exists for desktop browsers only, and it uses the EN API, not an OS function. Using the API, it has account access and can use more functions than the mobile clipper, that only drops content into the apps inbox.

There's no inherent technical reason why the Android activity which currently registering for the ACTION SEND intent filter couldn't also interface with the underlying Evernote API in order to add new tags. The Android OS APIs place restrictions on what is being shared (i.e. text, imagez), not the business logic performed once the app has received it (and the same is true for the equivalent iOS Action/Share extension APIs).

Or to give a concrete example, both Pocket and Todoist have managed equivalent "add new tag" via Share sheet features in their respective mobile apps. Evernote has its own distinct backend infrastructure so it's not a 1:1 comparison as its subject to different tradeoffs to those other services, but it's 100% inaccurate to say that the limitation is OS based.

I agree with the OP that it's a major omission, and such a major use case of the Web clipper should be ported to mobile ASAP.