I repeat it here

Some time has elapsed and I would like to know if with the newest Android versions it is now possible to search within PDF files. 

I do not mean search for PDF files which are indexed and contain the search phrase. 

I want to search within one of these resulting files. 

In versions before 10 it was possible to open found PDF files with a pdf Reader and search. Starting with Android 10 you must download the pdf file. Open the downloaded file to search in.

In the share dialog, PDF readers are not offered

Hartmut

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I think your question is not actually y about the ability to search inside the PDF since that is a function of the PDF reader. I use FoxIt and can search inside a PDF without trouble.

The challenge is, as I think you are saying, getting the PDF open in the viewer app in the first place.

The only way I can do that is to use the download option rather than attempting to share. Once the PDF is downloaded it can be opened.

This feels like a similar issue to what is being reported in a couple of other threads about difficulty opening Word and Excel attachments in their native apps. Again downloading send to be the way.

It seems that the app opening process is not functioning.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Or use the search build into the integrated reader. I suppose it exists in the Android version of EN mobile as well (I am on iOS).

9315F8C0-C10D-401E-80E1-BC19E0086943.thumb.jpeg.43c1c61ed46803c487c94d1a290ab171.jpeg

Anyhow, on mobile the pdf attachment needs to be downloaded first to open and search it. And when there are 5 PDFs in a single note, chances are you need to open and search every one, because there is no further indicator in which attachment the search string was found.

This limitation comes with the search index - it is build to locate notes with the searched content, and this it does. It holds no information about the attachments in detail - it will just know the searched text is „somewhere“ in that note. It can only highlight it directly when it is NOT contained inside of an attachment.

This is a basic design concept - I don’t expect it to be changed at all.

Edited by PinkElephant
Adding hint to iOS
  • Evernote Expert

The problem with inferring from iOS what might exist on Android is that there is a problem when that very option doesn't exist in Android. ;)  The integrated reader on Android does not offer a search option. It probably should, but doesn't which is why the download workaround is all that is left :(

• Like 2

@pink Elephant

At my last knowledge its NOT in the Android version, I asked for Android. And to search in an external PDF reader you must download the pdf file and open in the reader. It is not possible to share directly with a pdf reader or as before to open directly in a pdf reader.

And before I install the 10 I wnat to know if it is possible as in the former Android version. Because installing the 10 needs to be redownload three days offline notebooks, as it is not possible to save the downloaded notebooks.

Hartmut

• Evernote Expert

In a separate thread there is a report that Evernote support had acknowledged the wider issue with opening attached files from inside the Android app and that it is under investigation.

• 2 months later...