Evernote iPad OS | Annotate a PDF makes the entire screen go blank | Evernote Personal

As mentioned annotating a PDF makes it go blank. This is on iPad 2021 Air. App Version 10.29

It's really frustrating to see a Premium app which has been on the market for around 20 years be this buggy. I really am frustrated to pay and support an app like this year over year with other options like Notion around. :(

IMG_0036.PNG

Edited by 0cr
Added App version
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
52 minutes ago, 0cr said:

a Premium app which has been on the market for around 20 years

Actually,  the code you're using is 2 years old,  maximum.  Your phone's operating system?  Probably less than that.  The fact you can almost use a phone as a desktop is a minor miracle.  Have you reported this to Support?

5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Actually,  the code you're using is 2 years old,  maximum.  Your phone's operating system?  Probably less than that.  The fact you can almost use a phone as a desktop is a minor miracle.  Have you reported this to Support?

Reported this to support, I scrambled through more threads and found this has been the case since Feb 2020. No fixes No changes YET.

I will wait for a month before I move out of Evernote ecosystem.

• Level 5

Just tried to reproduce what was posted by the thread owner on my iPad Pro, running the same App version.

Even trying hard to get the annotation off track somehow, I could not reproduce the stated behavior. Since there is no description of how it happened, just the outcome, maybe I miss a certain twist that derails it.

To me this currently looks like an individual problem, that should be reported to support, if possible with an activity log. 

56 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just tried to reproduce what was posted by the thread owner on my iPad Pro, running the same App version.

Even trying hard to get the annotation off track somehow, I could not reproduce the stated behavior. Since there is no description of how it happened, just the outcome, maybe I miss a certain twist that derails it.

To me this currently looks like an individual problem, that should be reported to support, if possible with an activity log. 

It was reported to support with an activity log and a screen-grab of the issue . This isn't an individual problem FYI

Other links:

Let me know if you need anymore links and it's funny because you have commented similar stuff on some of the above links as well!

Just now, PinkElephant said:

As I said, I tried and could not reproduce it.

Since you provide no further information about what happened to yourself, that is it for me.

Calling it as an individual problem based on one person's test especially when there are multiple threads on it really adds no value in my opinion.

Thank you for your attempt to help tho!

• Level 5

Just BTW, the threads you are citing as a prove others have the same problem: If others have the same issue, you picked the wrong threads.

Number 1 and 2 are about the missing zoom option in annotation mode, which is a known and still unresolved issue. But they don’t claim a loss of content or annotations.

Number 3 says, annotation works, but freezes after some minutes. Again not what you are claiming.

So with regard to your posting, these threads are proving nothing, because they are not about the same problem. I don’t say it does not exist, but I could not reproduce it, there is no further information, so it makes no sense for me to follow up on it.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just BTW, the threads you are citing as a prove others have the same problem: If others have the same issue, you picked the wrong threads.

Number 1 and 2 are about the missing zoom option in annotation mode, which is a known and still unresolved issue. But they don’t claim a loss of content or annotations.

Number 3 says, annotation works, but freezes after some minutes. Again not what you are claiming.

So with regard to your posting, these threads are proving nothing, because they are not about the same problem. I don’t say it does not exist, but I could not reproduce it, there is no further information, so it makes no sense for me to follow up on it.

It's the same as Number 3, his freezes = my blank white.
And some comments in 1 and 2 refer to the same as well.

Thanks again. Appreciate it!

• Level 5

You say in your post it goes blank, as seen in your screenshot. In the other thread it says it freezes. For me this is not the same, but maybe it is a difference in description.

Does your device freeze ? Or does it loose content, but stays reactive ?

• 3 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, gazumped said:

I know that the current code is only 2 yrs old. The problem is that EN released it long before the new code was adequately debugged. It not only lacks features we had in the previous versions. It's far less stable. 

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Peter51 said:

I know that the current code is only 2 yrs old. The problem is that EN released it long before the new code was adequately debugged. It not only lacks features we had in the previous versions. It's far less stable. 

Hello and welcome to the debate.  Is this a general observation about the app overall,  or were you focussing on the iOS app(s) in particular?

• Level 5

We have a thread oder who seems to be out of the own thread, and we have somebody with general statements without proof (and wrong as well, regarding features - the new iOS client is far better than the old ones) in something that „3 months later“ looks a lot like hijacking this thread.

The thread is called „PDF annotation makes screen go blank“. Any postings on this are welcome, any general posts dropped without a reference to the thread are not. Anybody who wants to discuss other or general issues may do so, in the appropriate threads or by opening a new one.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hello and welcome to the debate.  Is this a general observation about the app overall,  or were you focussing on the iOS app(s) in particular?

I think they referrred to the particular annotation feature for making notes with an Apple Pencil on iPad.

Anyway I'm in process of moving all notes  (hand written on iPad) to iCloud and (rest to) Notion, I will finally be moving out of Evernote after 8 years.

• Level 5

Actually there is AFAIK no special EN annotation feature for the Pencil on the iPad. In fact I would prefer if EN would recognize the iPads features more (including support for the pencils).

Regarding the „Scribble“ feature: This is iPadOS specific and has nothing to do with EN. Actually occasionally it interferes with the proper use of the Sketch drawing for handwritten notes.