Pin Notes to the Top of Your Notebook

BrianZ71

Idea

I have notebooks with a LOT of notes in them - things like email templates and blogs - and I find myself scouring long lists of notes to find some that I always go back to reference. Would love a feature similar to Twitter's pinned Tweet - the ability to pin a few of your notes to the top of each notebook. Maybe max the number at 3 or 5?  Just add a right click option to each note = Pin to Top. 

10 replies to this idea

Why not just use Shortcuts? While not Notebook specific - you can still "pin" frequently used notes for easy access.

image.png.a2d4c0971ed68618085a4181cd69dae0.png

If I expand my shortcuts you would see that I have 6 or 7 frequently used notes, a couple of folders, and a saved search or two. Things I use daily.

Another alternative is a "pinned" tag which allows you to quickly identify the most important notes in the notebook. Lots of other solutions have been mentioned in the forums. They depend on how you normally sort your note list. If it's by creation date you can artificially make the date far in to the future (or past) so that always appears at the top. If it's alphabeltically start the title with something that will be at the top of the alphabet. 

Given that this has been a requested feature for many years and EN haven't introduced it when completely overhauling the software, I wouldn't hold out much hope. For me the pinned tag works well and has the advantage of being able to pull out my most important notes whichever notebook they happen to be in.

1 hour ago, buckethead said:

Why not just use Shortcuts? While not Notebook specific - you can still "pin" frequently used notes for easy access.

image.png.a2d4c0971ed68618085a4181cd69dae0.png

If I expand my shortcuts you would see that I have 6 or 7 frequently used notes, a couple of folders, and a saved search or two. Things I use daily.

Thanks for that.  This is probably the best option.

37 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Another alternative is a "pinned" tag which allows you to quickly identify the most important notes in the notebook. Lots of other solutions have been mentioned in the forums. They depend on how you normally sort your note list. If it's by creation date you can artificially make the date far in to the future (or past) so that always appears at the top. If it's alphabeltically start the title with something that will be at the top of the alphabet. 

Given that this has been a requested feature for many years and EN haven't introduced it when completely overhauling the software, I wouldn't hold out much hope. For me the pinned tag works well and has the advantage of being able to pull out my most important notes whichever notebook they happen to be in.

Thanks for the tips. Really surprised that EN hasn't addressed this issue - especially since, as you say, it's been requested for many years. Such an easy thing to add. 

• Like 1

Joining this request.

This would really give us many use cases, for example, explanation note for certain notebooks on what supposed to be saved and how in this notebook, in other cases it can be used for index or registry of some sort, and in others for the most important notes in the notebook.

Very simple request with even simpler implementation.

BrianZ71 thanks for starting this thread. It was useful to see a similar curiosity for quick access notes. Seeing that there is no option to "pin" a note to the top of a stack I'm reverting to my option of a 4 digit start to my file name(s) XXxx [00aa]. This way, I get to pin my notes in my specific order, when sorted by name. Cheers to personalized noting.

-A

• Level 5

Pinning a note again works in v10.80.3 (maybe on earlier versions as well) by placing a reminder on that note.

The reminder must be set to "Without Date" to pin the note. Every note with such a reminder will stay on top of the notes list in every notebook.

Very simple solution to the request. The only downside is it is not official, and it had stopped working (probably by accident) before.

Thank you @PinkElephant and @andreaa14 for your creative solutions.

Keeping in mind the journey that all competing apps and platforms has gone since I have started to use Evernote back in 2012, I really don't want to "pollute" any notebook in order to get this basic functionality of pinning a note to the beginning of the notebook.

Not that I am trying to be difficult, it's just that sorting for example, changes often depends on your current work with the notebook as well as tasks, which shouldn't be contaminated with fictitious entries to create this basic functionality.

Evernote had been acquired and the new owners trying to make sense of it and convert more users to paid. They have to start with listening to the loyal base, otherwise I am afraid, the base will cancel their paid subscriptions.

Looking forward to having this simple functionality implemented. Simple as that.

• Level 5

Personally I don’t care if I use a dateless reminder to pin a note. When it pins, it pins.

It works, it is efficient and it is available now. To place other actions on that same note, you can use Tasks.

Feel free to send feedback to EN, or issue a support ticket.