I can't seem to download notebooks for access offline (on iPad). I'm running the latest version and never had problems before. I toggle the green switch on, a grey bar appears, and that's it - nothing! The download either fails to download at all or sticks with a very small green download line.

Previously, I could download all my notes within minutes. Seems like something's broken. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Alan

• Level 5

Yes, I have described the procedure here in the forum, although it was in less demand recently.

Background: iOS will not allow apps to download stuff in the background, to conserve energy. The app needs to be the active one to download a ton of notes.

So this is how it works:

1. Switch the autolockscreen off in iOS settings, display & brightness 
  2. Put the iPad to a charger
  3. Open EN, activate the download for the notebooks you want, and let it run. Probably dim the screen to lowest level.
  4. You can interrupt it any time. I had it run for 3 consecutive nights to download appr. 20GB of EN data.
  5. The updating then happens pretty fast, when the app is used.

It is possible to download "all", when your iPad allows for it, and since 10.6 this works indeed. Before it was better to select 3-5 notebooks at a time. 

Hint: Do not log out of your EN account after downloading. It may happen you loose the download then ...

And no, I have not invented it, and I would rather prefer this to work slicker than it does. But it seems this is forever lost in the bermuda triangle between iOS restrictions and EN ambitions.

P.S. You could never-ever download a reasonable quantity of data within seconds, or you are very short of notes. But I agree it could go much faster than it does today.

• Like 2

Hi,

Yes I can view the notes via wifi and I have loads of storage space left on my iPad. 

This has only just become an issue and previously worked fine. 

I need offline access for teaching where I don’t have internet access. 

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you mean versions before v10 launched, yes. But there have been iOS changes as well - it may not be exclusively an EN issue. Apple had this battery problems (with iPhones switching off when the battery was low or getting cold), and since they got religious about conserving energy.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I too was having this problem and was quite angry about it. I recently deleted the Evernote app on both my iPad and phone and then reinstalled. When I went to select my off-line notebooks I was able to synchronize my entire database in a single six hour session! This has never happened before, in previous times it took days. Nice to know things are moving forward…

ps- Like Pink Elephant said, in order to get all of your off-line notebooks to sync you need to turn off auto lock, plug in your device and keep the Evernote app open for the entire time.

• Like 2

Glad to hear you got it sorted. It’s still very odd as it now works for me and I can download my notebooks in minutes. Not sure whether an Evernote update was the answer or something else. Just pleased to have it working correctly at last!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I just upgraded my Evernote IOS to the latest version 10.32.2 both on the iPad and iPhone an noticed that all the Cache files is gone and I have to re-Download ALL the notebooks again. I has taken me about 10 days to do the last one and just very disappointing that I have to start all over again.

Im going on a plane trip next week and was hoping that the new improvement can still keep existing cache but it doesn't seem to be able to do so.

I've put in a Support ticket but was wondering if anyone has any that issue since upgrading to the latest version...

@PinkElephant?

• Level 5

Just checked, and can’t confirm this observation. On my iPad (I don‘t have an offline download on my iPhone) everything is still available as before, after updating to 10.32.2. Checked in flight mode, could open attachments in randomly selected notes.

I think there may be another explanation: Maybe you logged out of your account at one point. This can dump the offline download - I am not sure about it, but this happened to me once. I did not bother to reproduce it, and I found no documentation about this little, but important detail.

Maybe support knows more about it.

And yes, the download time of any serious EN account is a major PITA.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I think there may be another explanation: Maybe you logged out of your account at one point. This can dump the offline download - I am not sure about it, but this happened to me once. I did not bother to reproduce it, and I found no documentation about this little, but important detail.

Maybe support knows more about it.

And yes, the download time of any serious EN account is a major PITA.

Thanks mate. I didn't logout of the account when this occurred but previous versions asked if the Cache data should be kept or cleared.

Anyway, I uninstalled the App and reinstalled again. Waiting for the download to finish again..  10 days I think. wish me luck.

What a PITA.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok @PinkElephant

They came back to me to say that there are 2 KNOWN issues with the Cache if there are tables in the Notes.

Also the above mentioned version of Evernote IOS will NOT recognize the Downloaded Cache and has to be downloaded again.

So 2 major issues acknowledged but not time frame as to when they will be fixed.

Anyway.. glad they know about it but waiting for a fix.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for coming back on this. In fact I do have tables in notes, but was able to download my entire account to my new iPad. I needed to do it in steps, all notebooks was unreasonably slow. But it downloaded all, and I just needed appr. 12hrs this time, which was for me a record. So it may stall on occasion, and if they have ideas of how to fix it, all the better.

Another good reason to read release note, I think.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So it may stall on occasion, and if they have ideas of how to fix it, all the better.

They suggested downloading one notebook at a time while they release a bug fix in the future. No release date though...