Problem with the advanced search syntax

Hi, after the latest Evernote update (10.27.5 mac-ddl-public 3122) the behaviour of the advanced search syntax changed. I'm not sure if it is just a bug or if you guys changed it.

Upper and lower case are not ignored anymore. For example, if the tag is "Evernote" and I try tag:evernote, I'll get no results. It has to be tag:Evernote to work. This is also affecting the use of saved searches and saved searches on the Filtered Notes Widget. 

I checked the Advanced Search Syntax page at Learning & Help and it still says "upper and lower case are ignored". So, I'm more inclined to believe it is a bug.
  • Level 5

Thanks for reporting - I confirm that searching for a tag is (now ?) case sensitive. Searching for text is still case insensitive.

I tried on the mobile iOS client - this is not restricted to the desktop client.

I think this deserves an official answer from EN. Have you opened a support ticket yet ?

I'm having the same problem.  More problematic than tag search changing to being case sensitive, the * wildcard is no longer working (e.g. "tag:Pric*" does not return notes with the tag "Pricing".  I logged a ticket and they had me rebuild the database... which worked for a day or two but then it stopped working.  I've rebuilt the DB three times and it just stopped working again just after Evernote support closed for the holiday.  

The only workaround is to use the filter in the top right corner but given how I use Evernote this is very sub-optimal.  If anyone else finds a fix or workaround please post here.

5 hours ago, christopherhp said:

More problematic than tag search changing to being case sensitive, the * wildcard is no longer working (e.g. "tag:Pric*" does not return notes with the tag "Pricing".  

Very strange. This still works for me.

• Level 5

What is working for me:

search term plus tag, be it upper/lower case or with a star wildcard.

website tag:inter*

Delivers a list of notes with the word website and tagged with tags beginning with inter , like Internet or International. Here it is not case sensitive either. The wildcard is necessary to make it work, I have not tag called Inter.

What does not work is the term 

tag:inter*

standing alone. All my tags start with uppercase letters. I need to type the complete tag in the standalone tag:-term to make it an effective tag filter, including the Uppercase first letter. 

Tried with EN iOS 10.23.

Interpretation of result: I think with tag: alone EN tries to build a filter, like choosing from the list. This only works with the precise term.

• 4 weeks later...

In my case I had to do comprehensive rebuild of my saved-searches and tag structure. I am studying with Codecademy, so I have a lot of notes  on lessons organized in notebook stacks and using tags. Some of the notebooks had an ampersand character in their name in place of word "and" to save space. Many tags were multi-word with dashes between words. When running saved search that contained both of those things, I either did not get any results or got a wrong amount of notes. By using legacy version of Evernote, I renamed all my multi-word tags using so called camelCase, removed an "&" character from the name of some of the notebooks and edited saved searches that used the old syntax to reflect the change. During all of this, I had to do a lot of force reload of Evernote 10.29 to propagate changes made in the legacy version faster. Took me a couple of days to do all of this.

I am an Evernote user for years. Recently, I found that the search over tag are case sensitive now... That is actually really noisy to me. 😰  How would I change it back to case insensitive again??

38 minutes ago, vdnil0 said:

I am an Evernote user for years. Recently, I found that the search over tag are case sensitive now... That is actually really noisy to me. 😰  How would I change it back to case insensitive again??

Which version are you on? The latest version (10.30) seems to have gone back to not being case sensitive.