Can't View PDFs Inline

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I love Evernote and have used it for years. But the recent decision to make PDFs only viewable as single pages you have to click through is a definite step backwards. Is there any way of universally setting the PDFs to view inline, i.e., as a stream of pages rather than single pages?

• Level 5

No setting, it uses the single page as standard on desktop, and view as attachment as standard on mobile.

You can (and need to) switch to all pages view individually.

If you want to contact EN about it, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.

• Evernote Expert

There are many different use requirements and some want the optio to default to View as Attachment. Others want the whole document view by default.  I suppose there are others that like the single page view with the option to click through page by page.

Please express your desire for this to have an option to setting to Evernote support. For now, I simply change the setting the first time I go to a note and it isn't set how I need it. It is a little tedious but not overly so. This is better than going to each and every note as they are created and changing the view - often long before I need to actually access the note.

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution
38 minutes ago, bkauflin said:

@agsteele Thanks for the reply. How do I change the setting the first time I go to a note? 

Right click the PDF and the bottom options will be View as Attachment and All Pages. I think you are looking for All Pages. Once you've made the change the options change to allow return to Single Page view.

1 hour ago, bkauflin said:

I love Evernote and have used it for years. But the recent decision to make PDFs only viewable as single pages you have to click through is a definite step backwards. Is there any way of universally setting the PDFs to view inline, i.e., as a stream of pages rather than single pages?

there is no general setting to change the default single page view. However, you can change it per attachment by clicking on top of the attachment and then select 'all pages' in the '...' menu  Your setting will be persisted

• 1 month later...

Yes, but I think there is a glitch in the sense that even when you set it for "view as attachment" it sometimes reverts back to the other view the next time you open the program.  I can't swear to this since I haven't tested it thoroughly but I'm pretty sure that many of the pdf documents that I "adjusted" simply switched back to the view I don't want.  I tried to recreate this behavior recently and was unable to demonstrate it ie: maybe it got fixed in one of the later versions.  As I have stated in previous posts this is a pretty big deal for people who deal extensively with notes containing multiple pdfs.  The thumbnail view of the entire note is taken up with the first page of the first pdf rather than seeing a broad overview of all the pdfs that are in the note.  I have already put this on the requested features section.

• Level 5

It is not saving the view preference in general, the setting is only for one single attachment, and only for desktop clients.

Does your client still behave differently ? Then better try support.

For control over the thumbnail it works best to add one attachment only, save it and let it sync to the server. Once the thumbnail shows, you can add more attachments. Usually (thumbnail generation is sort of a black hole thing) the first thumbnail will stick even if more content is added.

EN does never generate thumbs from more than one of the attachments.

What I meant is that one day I went through about a hundred notes and changed the view preference for all of the pdfs within those notes.  I realized that there was no way of saving the preference for all my thousands of pdfs but these were the ones I used all the time.  Nonetheless, in subsequent weeks I noted that the pdfs whose view I had specifically switched to "view as attachment" had flipped the other way again.  After this I didn't make any further attempts to change view preferences except on a case by case basis.  Therefore, I am not sure if initially I did something wrong or if the earlier version had some kind of bug that caused the views to revert but I think it's working better now.