"Smart" search and one click open

Hi all, after upgrading Windows client to 10.24.3 I found the new "Smart" search, so when doing a global search, the context is automatically set to the current notebook, then I must click on "Everywhere" (maybe label it's different, I'm using EN in italian) to get a real global search. I DON'T wish to! I'd rather want to have global search by default, and restrict to current notebook as an option. Is it possible?

On the other side, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE enable an option to open the main window from the taskbar icon with a SINGLE FREAKING LEFT CLICK! Please... 😭

Thanks!

• Level 5

There was a discussion in the forum about search to start global vs. in the current notebook.

The local team won, it seems. A practical reason may be that it is easier to click on "Everywhere" right below the search field, than to set up a filter for a notebook manually.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There was a discussion in the forum about search to start global vs. in the current notebook.

The local team won, it seems. A practical reason may be that it is easier to click on "Everywhere" right below the search field, than to set up a filter for a notebook manually.

Which is much better because it comes closer to separate 'workspaces' (one notebook per workspace).

4 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Which is much better because it comes closer to separate 'workspaces' (one notebook per workspace).

I disagree. I use tags as my primary organisational tool and so notebooks are merely for special purposes like inbox, shared, offline etc. When I search I want everything by default because the notebook is largely unimportant. I agree with @Claudio79 - what we need is an option, and I said this within hours of the latest version being released.

14 hours ago, Mike P said:

I disagree. I use tags as my primary organisational tool and so notebooks are merely for special purposes like inbox, shared, offline etc.

I use tags as my primary organizational tool as well. That's exactly the reason that I'm able to use notebooks to separate work from personal for instance.  Thanks to the notebook search, I can now prevent accidentally popping up personal stuff  when showing/searching notes to colleagues.

This solves the archive problem as well: put all your active notes in one notebook, and the rest in archive notebook(s).  Now when you set your context to the active notebook, all your searches, new notes etc will be performed in this context without any noise from archived notes...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, eric99 said:

I use tags as my primary organizational tool as well. That's exactly the reason that I'm able to use notebooks to separate work from personal for instance.  Thanks to the notebook search, I can now prevent accidentally popping up personal stuff  when showing/searching notes to colleagues.

This solves the archive problem as well: put all your active notes in one notebook, and the rest in archive notebook(s).  Now when you set your context to the active notebook, all your searches, new notes etc will be performed in this context without any noise from archived notes...

I can see how it would be useful in your context but in mine it is not. If I want to see documents tagged with "finance" it doesn't matter to me whether they are in my personal notebook or in a shared notebook. Hence the need for the option.

4 hours ago, Mike P said:

I can see how it would be useful in your context but in mine it is not. If I want to see documents tagged with "finance" it doesn't matter to me whether they are in my personal notebook or in a shared notebook. Hence the need for the option.

I understand your use-case, but you can easily solve this by selecting all notebooks.

The real problem with the previous behavior (switching to a global search) is that there is no way to stay in a specific context for a longer time without specifying it every time again and again in each query

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I understand your use-case, but you can easily solve this by selecting all notebooks.

All EN have done is change the default to the opposite. There is no real difference between me having to select "everywhere" each time and you having to click "filter by notebook" in the previous V10 version every time. We should be able to choose the default rather than having to justify why some behaviour is better and telling other users that they can easiy solve the problem by just doing ...

5 minutes ago, Mike P said:

All EN have done is change the default to the opposite. There is no real difference between me having to select "everywhere" each time and you having to click "filter by notebook" in the previous V10 version every time. We should be able to choose the default rather than having to justify why some behaviour is better and telling other users that they can easiy solve the problem by just doing ...

Agreed that this should be configurable, but what evernote really did is restoring the legacy behavior that was there from the very beginning. Nobody complaint about that behavior before.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

With making stuff configurable: Every of these settings options means the program needs to execute an "If-Then-Else". 50 Settings, 50 loops. I don't think this is a good idea with an app that still is not as snappy as the legacy versions (although I can't complain, works for me on all devices).

I could live with both versions of search, but I appreciate they did a nice job by adding this "Everywhere" button, to revert to a general search by one click.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

With making stuff configurable: Every of these settings options means the program needs to execute an "If-Then-Else". 50 Settings, 50 loops. I don't think this is a good idea with an app that still is not as snappy as the legacy versions (although I can't complain, works for me on all devices).

I could live with both versions of search, but I appreciate they did a nice job by adding this "Everywhere" button, to revert to a general search by one click.

Not only that, each setting doubles the amount of testing (combinatorial explosion) if they take testing seriously.

Yes, the 'Everywhere' button is an exellent GUI design

Talking about "smart search", there is another inconsistent and confusing behavior: if you enter a search string, the filtered set will be shown as expected. However, if you then clear the search field with backspaces and press ENTER, it keeps showing the previous filter results instead of the unfiltered set (like it initially was with the empty search string).  If you then enter '*' in the search field, it will show the unfiltered set again.

This is inconsistent behavior because an empty search string shows different results depending on the previous state.