why are all my pdfs now evernote documents?

There seems to be a recent change that has set evernote as a default for all of my pdf documents (??). When I try to double click to open a pdf it creates a new file in evernote instead of opening the file (???). If I try to open a pdf within an evernote note, instead of opening the note it creates yet another note in the folder (??)

Can someone tell me how to get out of this loop!?

(Windows 10, non-legacy evernote desktop application)

• Level 5

It is a bug in the windows installer of the latest v10. It changes the standard app for some file formats to EN.

You can change it back manually in Windows settings, software, standard app.

EN is AFAIK working on a fix for the installer.

The Mac installer does not have this issue.

• Like 1

Hi @Bubblewrap--we believe we have resolved this issue with our latest release v10.24. Can you let me know what version of Evernote you are using on Windows? The version with this issue is 10.23. You can check the version you are currently running under Evernote's "About" menu.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, Bubblewrap said:

It is 10.22.3

when I try to update it tells me this is the newest version available 

@Bubblewrap Simply go to evernote.com, and there top right „Download“. You always get the latest version, in this case 10.24.

The update information in the app is usually a bit behind. AFAIK EN rolls out new versions step by step, to avoid the server to be overloaded when a new release is out.

I think you will have to roll back the standard app in windows anyhow, because EN can‘t do it for you. See the help document posted by @Boot17 above.

@gbarry  ,  I have experienced in the Windows app an upgrade installation problem :  the installed Sophos agent   has identified the 10.24  version as malware (  or similar to )  .

It's the first time it happens to me  (  Sophos has always alloweed EN Windows upgrades before) ,  it's a corporate computer so I can't modify Sophos  parameters (  as it was recommended by an Evernote  agent to a ticket I've issued) .

Have you heard about this? 

Thanks,  Claudio