Using the "Home" feature of Evernote v10 for iphone

I am not understanding how to best use the Home page.  For example,  what is the benefit of the "Scratch Pad"?  Normally when I write a new note I can simply hit the "New" button and it brings up a new note.   Also, in the general view of Evernote the layout shows your notebooks and tags.  So, why would I need a separate widget for these things in the "Home" view?  I like the "Tasks" feature because it's a good way of reminding me what tasks are pending.  Overall I don't quite understand why I would use the "Home" view rather than simply going to the usual view that has it all anyway.  Also, would love to understand the concept behind the widget that says "Filtered View".  I put in a search yesterday with specific filters and found what I was looking for.  However, now that search is permanently embedded in this "Filtered view" and I see it everytime I use the Home view even though I don't need it anymore.  I guess I'm confused how to properly take advantage of the Home view or even understand it's utility.  They seem to make a big fuss about it but my workflow (eg: the EN windows desktop) has always been to go directly to the main view where I can see my notebooks, my inbox, all the tags, shortcuts etc.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, idoc said:

I am not understanding how to best use the Home page.

Hi.  I don't use the Home page either.  It's not obligatory to use it - although it is the default view when you open the app - and to some extent it just gets in the way.  If you follow several projects,  or keep an eye on specific topics,  then the Home page content might be useful - but if it isn't (yet?) of any use,  you can't force yourself to make it relevant - just page through it and get on with the rest of your life!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The home view came from a contest EN ran in the early stages of the development of v10. They have asked users here in the forum to show examples of dashboards users had developed for themselves.

A lot of dashboards were posted, and you could get a lot of ideas from looking at solutions by other users. EN then took this, condensed it and released the current version of Home, based on the selection of widgets. The more you pay the more customizing is allowed.

Basically you need to decide what works for you, and how you want to use it. Do you want to open it in the morning, presenting you „the day“ ? Or do you want to use it as your main tool during the day ? Do you use tasks, do you have calendar integrations ? Are you sharing content with others ?

These questions may lead you to find your own setup. It is not engraved in stone, so instead of trying to find the Perfect Home Screen now, I propose you simply start and change it as you go and learn. Don’t be afraid to leave some open space - no need to fill the last corner. If a widget does not work out for you, try to modify it, or skip it.

Thanks for the explanation.  But still wondering about some of these widgets.  For example, the "scratch pad"....it seems to be a place where you simply input temporary information that you want to see each time you open EN.  When you want to make that info into an official note you can do so and clear the scratch pad.  In this way it's something that's not quite a task or a note ie: in between.   Also, not sure what the "filtered" widget is for.  It seems as if after I put in a filtered search, that search simply stays there and I am unable to get rid of it (even when I change the search).  Perhaps I'm not understanding what this widget is for and how to use it? The notebooks "widget" seems to simply be a list of the notebooks; however, I would prefer it if it allowed me to put my "Inbox" notebook first since that's the one I always want to go to.  As a widget it seems kind of lame.  Seems like HOME is not well thought out or as useful as it could be.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, idoc said:

it seems to be a place where you simply input temporary information that you want to see each time you open EN.

I don't think it's necessarily meant to be something you see every time,  though it very well could be a reminder for an appointment you really really don't want to forget - but if I'm changing passwords on another app,  or dealing with a phone message,  I'll often open a new (Windows) text note on my desktop just as a place to park some details while I'm doing something else.  Then the text note gets deleted (if I remember) and I'll make a new one next time...  The scratchpad is just a handy home for any random temporary thoughts you might have,  that don't have a better place to be.

53 minutes ago, idoc said:

not sure what the "filtered" widget is for.

You don't even have to look at it if it's not useful for you - just delete from Home;  I tried mine out with one project where emails were being saved directly into Evernote - I had the display set for new notes from that notebook in the last 48 hours.  It's a good way to make sure that information which might otherwise be lost ion the general run of your notes is immediately visible in case you need it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I don't think it's necessarily meant to be something you see every time,  though it very well could be a reminder for an appointment you really really don't want to forget - but if I'm changing passwords on another app,  or dealing with a phone message,  I'll often open a new (Windows) text note on my desktop just as a place to park some details while I'm doing something else.  Then the text note gets deleted (if I remember) and I'll make a new one next time...  The scratchpad is just a handy home for any random temporary thoughts you might have,  that don't have a better place to be.

You don't even have to look at it if it's not useful for you - just delete from Home;  I tried mine out with one project where emails were being saved directly into Evernote - I had the display set for new notes from that notebook in the last 48 hours.  It's a good way to make sure that information which might otherwise be lost ion the general run of your notes is immediately visible in case you need it.

So let's say that I want to give HOME a chance and am trying to put it into my work flow.  I'm still mystified by the "filtered" widget.  I did one filtered search a week ago and I can't get it out of the widget unless I delete the widget, reinstall it and do a new filtered search.  So, it seems as if "Filtered search" is there simply to permanently record the results of one particular filtered search so that you see it every time.  But couldn't I do that by making it into a "shortcut" which is already a different widget?  If I use the "shortcuts" widget it appears to show me all of my shortcuts; whereas the "filtered search" shows me one particular shortcut.  Therefore, if I know that I need to pull up a hotel reservation or boarding pass or some kind of specific information that I need on the fly, I could set up this filtered search and keep it sitting there to show to the agent.  I can't really think up of many other ways I would be using this feature.