Web clipper could take weeks to load into Evernote

If you don't look at notes after you use web clipper the pages may not download. I have clipped multiple pages and find out a week later they have not been downloaded. If I open Evernote and go to notes I will see multiple links still being downloaded. I also find that if I don't have patience and wait and flip to another app or even let phone go to sleep it stops downloading. This is unacceptable. I have a samsung note 9. It has been doing this forever. My version is the latest. 1.09a-r3

Edited by hotchilidog
Added version
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, hotchilidog said:

If you don't look at notes after you use web clipper the pages may not download. I have clipped multiple pages and find out a week later they have not been downloaded. If I open Evernote and go to notes I will see multiple links still being downloaded. I also find that if I don't have patience and wait and flip to another app or even let phone go to sleep it stops downloading. This is unacceptable. I have a samsung note 9. It has been doing this forever. My version is the latest. 1.09a-r3

Hi.  You'll find that in many cases it's the page,  not Evernote,  that is causing the problem.  Always useful to quote some URLs of pages that did not download - you may find that if the page requires a log-in (forinstance) and while you personally can log in and view it,  Evernote's copy attempt is treated as a guest access and EN will be prevented from downloading anything.  If your downloads are frozen,  it should be a simple matter to visit the page again (Evernote captures the URL) and re-clip in a desktop browser.

• Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, hotchilidog said:

I have a samsung note 9. It has been doing this forever. My version is the latest. 1.09a-r3

Your version of what is 1.09a-r3? That doesn't seem to be a version of Evernote.

I used to experience the things you describe in the old version 8 Evernote for Android. Version 10 saving of URL content seems to be much more reliable.

However, both rely on an intermediate sharing process within the device. You choose to sahre a web page (for example) and the OS sends it to Evernote which accepts what is sent in the manner and format that is sent by the originating browser via the OS.

I used to find that the Chrome browser on Android was more reliable than my prefered default.

• Level 5

The mobile platforms (iOS and Android) make use of the sharing function of the OS to clip a web page. It is no web clipper like on desktops.

One downside of this sharing process is that you need to open the EN app to make clipped content import into EN. Because the shared content is queued right outside of the app, it is advisable to import with some frequency, not letting tens of clips be stacked without processing them. If something goes bad, it can happen that several clips get lost.

If I follow my own advise, clipping works and I don’t loose any content.

After importing into the mobile app, a green triangle shows at the edge of the new notes. This is no sign it is syncing, it is a sign that it still needs to sync. If you are without internet at that moment, or have disabled mobile data for EN it may take quite some time before it can be synced. The content is now locally saved (opposite to the import queue), but not available for the server and other devices.

After it has synced, the green triangle disappears, and the notes are available for all devices.