export scanned documents to pdf does not work properly.

Whilst photographing the documents using Evernote works just fine and the note itself looks good exporting results in unusable pdf file with distorted documents.

What did I do wrong?

See attached pics, 1st one is exported pdf, 2nd one is in the note itself, just perfect

the right hand side of the document is completely cut off in the pdf document

distorted.jpg

not_distorted.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi.  Full details please of device,  OS and Evernote versions;  plus exactly how did you photograph the document and convert it to PDF,  and how did you export the document - and what file type is that. 

Your first example looks like a JPG print of an image - the perspective is off and the image looks wider than the page.  The second is more character based and looks like text.

I use the latest evernote version on Samsung Note 8 to take the pictures. Which works just fine. I use the recommendations as mentioned by evernote themselfes, holding the smartphone for landscapemode. (in portraitmode I get multiple pictures not corrected and including parts outside the document).

Which file type? I mean evernote takes care of capturing and enhancing the pictures and creating the note with all the documents in it. Works perfect. Just then right click on the note, choosing Export to pdf, and I get the bad unusable pdf file...

So first picture is screenshot of the note from the note in Windows evernote, latest update of course... 2nd is the screenshot from the created pdf file... so everything is done by evernote. After taking the pics with the smartphone Android evernote automatically creates the note with enhanced pictures of the documents photographed.

Playing with the export options does not help, just tried.

• Level 5*

I'm still confused that one of your images is laid out like a typed page,  but the other has a skewed perspective like an image with one or more edges compressed.  A PDF starts out as an image,  but then gets OCR'd into a character-based document.  The image could sprawl out across your page and spill off the side,  a formatted PDF would stick to the correct layout.  If this is only a recent image,  it may be that Evernote's servers haven't gotten around to OCR-ing it yet.  If it's a day or more old,  then clearly that's not the issue.

I'd suggest you raise this with Support who can advise you more about how the document imaging systems work...

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or use the feedback option in the mobile client). 

• Level 5

Are they pdfs, or are they picture files (most off the time PNGs) ?

A pdf will probably not be corrected after creation, a picture file can be modified by the scanning process. It takes a picture as seen by the camera, and then makes adjustments to cut off outside areas, correct distortion, optimize lighting etc. What you see in EN is the optimized picture.

To see the file type you can tap on the picture, when it is opened go to the 3 dots menu and look it up in picture information.

I use this functionality as shown in the picture. So Evernote creates the note from the pictures evernote takes itself within the app. How it handles the pictures? I have no idea.... They appear as ok in evernote. Just export it does not work properly.

screenshot_20211018-220005_evernote.jpg

• Level 5

These are not PDFs, they are picture files (I think usually EN grabs them in PNG format).

When I take such a picture, it cuts away the area outside of the document, and performs a perspective correction. When I then use the downarrow, it saves the picture in exactly the same view to the camera roll of my iPhone. It looks like it does in the note, no distortion.

From my testing of the camera function, I can’t reproduce the problem of the thread owner.

I propose to issue a support ticket.

57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

These are not PDFs,

I propose to issue a support ticket.

Yes, these are not PDFs but I can later export the created Note as a pdf by right clicking on the note choosing "Export as PDF..."

As I have written before: in the note everything looks 100% fine. Just export the note as a pdf produce the distortion and therefore the problem.

A support ticket with reference to this topic is created...

Thank you very much for your input, would be interesting what result u get if you export the note u created as a pdf...

• Level 5

When I export a note as a pdf, the embedded picture file just stays like it shoes in the note: Cut to dimension, distortion corrected. The pictures were created using the build in scanner of the EN iOS app 10.19, document type "document - b&w". The embedded file is a PNG.

Will be interesting what the outcome with support will be.

• Like 1

So they could reproduce the problem. Here is the answer:

I was able to recreate the issue on my end and I got the same result just like how you encountered it on your end.

As a workaround for now, please try to use the print feature of the app using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + P and print the file as PDF, you must have the same results just like the PDF file that I attached on this email.

I'm transferring this ticket to our technical support team who will continue to assist you. Please know that they are working on your case and will reply after they've had the opportunity to review the information you've provided.

The workaround does not print 1 page on  a page because of the head line, so I hope they can fix the problem asap.

• Like 1

So the tech support as well as development team both could reproduce the problem and it might take a while before it will be fixed. But they are aware of it.

I wonder if I really was the only one who use this functionality? Else there would have been more complaints?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I use it, and have no issues with it.

Good you got support involved, maybe you can post the outcome here.

yes, so we should note that it is android/windows related. apple products do not have this issue then...

thx for your input

• Thanks 1