Excluding a notebook within a search

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I am trying to locate notes within my database that contains a particular string but wish to exclude a notebook from the search.  Of course, I tried "notebook:-neuralnetworks perceptron", but it returns no notes at all although I know I have notes elsewhere with that string.  I guess my attempt at excluding a notebook is not supported.  Any ideas?

I have a related question. I too want to exclude the contents of a specific notebook.  But I want to exclude that notebook by default, always. This is a notebook that contains magazines I own that I have downloaded. They always pop up in my searches and I really don't want to have to enter "-notebook..." for every single search that I do. Is there a solution for this in Evernote?

Thanks, Joe.

• Level 5

AFAIK the only way would be to open a second account and move everything there you want to get out of sight.

You could start it as Free, then subscribe for a month, move the content (monthly 10GB on Personal / 20 GB on Professional should be enough for a lot of content) and fall back to Free again.

We have a long running request somewhere in the forum to be able to designate notebooks as „Archive“, excluding them from regular searches. You can search it and add your vote.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, joetopshot said:

Is there a solution for this in Evernote?

Not directly. A few suggestions in addition to @PinkElephant's one.

• If you save the -notebook:name search and put it in Shortcuts you can easily access it there.By running the saved search and then clicking into the search field you can quickly add your search terms.
  • If you use a text expander you could include the "-notebook:"  snippet with a shortcut to save you having to type it.
  • Having tags as your major organisation strategy does offer some slight advanatages. As all my notes are in a notebook called "AllMyNotes" it is easy to filter for all notes in that notebook. I could put something I ddn't want to search for in another notebook.
49 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We have a long running request somewhere in the forum to be able to designate notebooks as „Archive“, excluding them from regular searches. You can search it and add your vote.

Thanks for your input.  I will look for that item.

37 minutes ago, Mike P said:
  • If you save the -notebook:name search and put it in Shortcuts you can easily access it there.By running the saved search and then clicking into the search field you can quickly add your search terms.

This was a good suggestion. I hadn't known I could save a search into a shortcut (I've been a paid subscriber for a number of years but haven't really taken advantage of or learned many of the features of EV).  I actually made my shortcut a bit more focused: "-notebook:xx -tag:yy"; and then I add what I'm searching for at the end.  Works nicely.   Thank you.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, joetopshot said:

This was a good suggestion. I hadn't known I could save a search into a shortcut (I've been a paid subscriber for a number of years but haven't really taken advantage of or learned many of the features of EV).  I actually made my shortcut a bit more focused: "-notebook:xx -tag:yy"; and then I add what I'm searching for at the end.  Works nicely.   Thank you.

Also don't forget that on the desktop clients (and maybe others)  you can drag the position of the shortcuts around e.g you might always want this special shotcut at the top of the list. On the desktop clients you can also access the first 9 shortcuts using the keyboard shortcut ctrl+1 up to ctrl+9 (on Windows) 

20 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Also don't forget that on the desktop clients (and maybe others)  you can drag the position of the shortcuts around e.g you might always want this special shotcut at the top of the list. On the desktop clients you can also access the first 9 shortcuts using the keyboard shortcut ctrl+1 up to ctrl+9 (on Windows) 

or you can select it directly from within the search list

A completely different solution might be AHK (AutoHotKey) or a similar scripting tool to generate the search string with one key click. https://www.autohotkey.com/