Searching in specific folder

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Legacy version, I select folder and enter search info in the search bar.  Automatically filters to just that folder.

Current Ver, I have to select notebook, Type search phrase, Select Filter, Enter on search phrase.   4 steps vs 2 steps.

Allow when a notebook is selected, to auto filter to that notebook on search request like Legacy does.   It I want to search on all notes, I can select "Notes" and search.

• Solution
40 minutes ago, RI2438 said:

Legacy version, I select folder and enter search info in the search bar.  Automatically filters to just that folder.

Current Ver, I have to select notebook, Type search phrase, Select Filter, Enter on search phrase.   4 steps vs 2 steps.

Allow when a notebook is selected, to auto filter to that notebook on search request like Legacy does.   It I want to search on all notes, I can select "Notes" and search.

Personally I like the current default. If I search, I normally want to search everywhere. If I want to search a specific folder the extra effort of clicking "add filter" below the search bar seems a small price to pay.

• Level 5*

You could also get around the limitation by adding a tag to notes in each notebook - tagging with the notebook name;  then search "tag:<notebook> <keyword>" to search one notebook,  or -tag: etc to exclude it...

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You could also get around the limitation by adding a tag to notes in each notebook - tagging with the notebook name;  then search "tag:<notebook> <keyword>" to search one notebook,  or -tag: etc to exclude it...

But why not use notebook:notebookname or -notebook:notebookname. Negating a notebook definitely works in V10.

It is not a limitation just a slightly slower procedure than in legacy. Searches in V10 default to search everything while in legacy if you are in a notebook it just searches the notebook.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I already have a ton of Tags.  That the purpose of organizing my notes into notebooks.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Personally I like the current default. If I search, I normally want to search everywhere. If I want to search a specific folder the extra effort of clicking "add filter" below the search bar seems a small price to pay.

Most of my searches are in a folder that I know.  When I search all, I get too much history since I am usually searching on a property name.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

But why not use notebook:notebookname or -notebook:notebookname. Negating a notebook definitely works in V10.

It is not a limitation just a slightly slower procedure than in legacy. Searches in V10 default to search everything while in legacy if you are in a notebook it just searches the notebook.

Can you give me a real world example.   Example:  Notebook name: "A. Active"   My search:  notebook:A. Active saddle brook   Yield no results.

Thats really too much typing where setting a filter by clicking would still be faster than the syntax.  However, selecting the folder and searching would be the fastest and most useful for how I use Evernote.    Or go back to Legacy that works the best in many regards.  But I am trying to move forward.

6 minutes ago, RI2438 said:

Can you give me a real world example.   Example:  Notebook name: "A. Active"   My search:  notebook:A. Active saddle brook   Yield no results.

Notebook names which contain spaces need to be enclosed in double quotation marks. No space between the colon and the notebook name.

notebook:my_notebook

notebook:"my notebook"
7 minutes ago, RI2438 said:

Thats really too much typing where setting a filter by clicking would still be faster than the syntax.  However, selecting the folder and searching would be the fastest and most useful for how I use Evernote.   

I agree that doing it without the syntax is possible and easy. I personally don't think that clicking the notebook name underneath the search bar is too difficult but I have the advantge of rairly using  folder specific search.

image.png.7e49aba5e21f23f46a09672182b27df9.png