Different types of notes

Dr. Dark

Idea

Sometimes it'd be great if there were different types of notes. Right now a note can only be a page full of text, but there are more options than that.

For example it'd be great if a note could be just a link.
I realize you can do this easily by adding text inside a note, but it would be better if the note just straight up opened a predefined link in your browser, and no text note.
This would for example mean that as a student, I can open a note for a certain class, and then I can search my notes for a specific link. For example one note could be a link to my math book. Then I would remain inside my notes for that class, and easily find the website I need to.

Another type of notes, which would be really great to have in evernote, is mindmaps.
I realize this would be a bigger feature, but it would be extremely useful for taking notes. Then I wouldn't need to find some other websites or similar, that will often ask me to pay tons of credits for premium. I'm not interesting in using a ton of cash, just to make mindmaps.

A third type of note could be JUST an image, which would be similar to the first idea I proposed. So when I open a note, it instantly opens some image in image viewing mode.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dr. Dark said:

Right now a note can only be a page full of text, but there are more options than that.

The base format for notes is enml (basically html) which is text based   
Notes can also reference attachment files

A note can be text, with image attachment files displayed inline   
Sketch attachment files are also displayed inline along with text

As you noted, the text can contain links, links to external services (or other notes)
and it's a two step process    
1) Open the note in the Evernote window   
2) Open the link in an external app

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

A note can be text, with image attachment files displayed inline   
Sketch attachment files are also displayed inline along with text

The text can contain links to other notes, or links to external services

Well sure you can add an image to your note, but even then I still need to do multiple clicks to get it in fullscreen preview. The part of my idea you're refering to, I meant to have a note instantly open a note in full preview

And yes, your note can contain links, but what I was talking about is when you click to open your note, you're instantly sent to whatever URL. No need to open the note and then click on some link.

The less clicks I have to make when opening a note, the more efficiently I can work.

• Level 5

Sure it is more efficient, for some. For others the opening right in preview is too much. We have a discussion in the forum that YT links should NOT display a preview as default, instead only the link should show.

The basic question is whether there should be a complex settings setup, as in the legacy versions. Or few settings, and some more clicks instead.

There is obviously no right or wrong for this question.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Sure it is more efficient, for some. For others the opening right in preview is too much

This shouldn't be a problem.
What I'm proposing is different types of notes. This means users can just create a "text" note which is what we have right now.
Then they would also be able to create notes which have a special image type, meaning they'll open straight away in preview. Or the same thing with links, they're automatically opened once you click on a note.
Nothing should be forced on anyone. When making a note, you should be prompted which type of note you'd like to make.

• Level 5

All (!) notes today are a variety of HTML code. Even what looks like plain text is in fact a mini website.

When you add objects, they are either coded by HTML (like tables, dividers or code blocks) or embedded into the code (like pictures, URLs, drawings / sketches etc.).

It is one of the strong aspects of EN that you don’t need to bother which sort of note you want. You can start with plain text, a picture, a file or a web clip, and flexibly add any type of object while working on it.

I think I understand your idea, but one needs to balance efficiency and flexibility. I prefer the full flexibility to grow a note into any direction, by adding any type of information without a need to first think if it is possible. Currently it IS possible, no need to think about it.