Index Within a Note

cameratech

Idea

Hi all,

Unless I am mistaken, there is currently not a way to put a table of contents at the start of a long note where you can click on an individual item and it will jump down straight to that part of the note.  In the same way that you can do with, say, an essay on Microsoft word.

Am I mistaken and there is in fact a way to do this?

Cheers.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

No, you are not mistaken. If you search the forum, you will find feature requests for both an outlining capability and the possibility to place tags or links at specific places inside of a note, to be able to jump between them. You can add your vote to these requests.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, cameratech said:

there is currently not a way to put a table of contents at the start of a long note

Confirmed; not a feature supported by the Evernote editor

"Long note" might be considered an oxymoron (like giant shrimp)   
Personally, I use a word processing app to create documents with this feature supported   
The document is stored in Evernote as a file attachment

Nimbus Notes has a great automatic table of contents feature, and is similar to Evernote in many respects. It's worth a look if long documents are your thing. Evernote is more "shrimp-y" as @DTLow says; it's a better place to work with building blocks of articles and proposals, research, etc, which is what I need. Collapsible bullets would be a help, tho.

• Level 5

It would probably be bad if all apps try to do the same.

In EN instead of building one very large note, it is probably be better to create a number of smaller ones. There can be a TOC table of content note, and links in the individual notes to jump between notes. This way syncing is more stable, and the different parts can get individual tags to make working with them easier.