Thumbnails in listview and Today-recent

What is the logic behind the thumbnail pictures in the notebook list view or today/recent view?

I use use small pictures (10-20 kb jpg files) in every note for easy recognition. Most of the notes also contain one or more pdf files. However, most of the time EN uses the added picture in the list view or today view but sometimes it uses a thumbnail of the pdf file within the note. Because of this notes can have different thumbnails in the web version, the IOS version and the Android version. Confusing. 

(using the latest version of EN)

• Level 5*

As already described several times in the Forums here,  Evernote uses some "largest smallest measure" voodoo to select the images,  but I've not seen anyone mention that the images were actually different before.  This is a (mainly)user 2 user forum,  so the best place to get more information (and please share back what you find out) is here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• Level 5

It seems they skipped the Voodoo for good, and now throw bones to pick the picture. 

What you can try is to create the note, put the picture you want into it and then wait until the thumbnail appears. Then add the other stuff. Many times the picture stays.

No guarantees, no refunds …

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Carel said:

I use use small pictures (10-20 kb jpg files) in every note for easy recognition

.. and always work in the "cards" view? Me too! I'm on the web version, and a few pdfs never preview; they just show up as a grey icons. There doesn't seem to be any common factor - file size, etc. I guess, like PinkElephant says, it's just rolling bones.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 1:42 PM, gazumped said:

As already described several times in the Forums here,  Evernote uses some "largest smallest measure" voodoo to select the images,  but I've not seen anyone mention that the images were actually different before.  This is a (mainly)user 2 user forum,  so the best place to get more information (and please share back what you find out) is here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Got a reply from support a few days ago:

"It seems this is a syncing issue. To isolate this, I've gone ahead and made some syncing adjustments to your account. In order to reset these changes on your end, please reinstall Evernote on your Android and iOS devices"

Gave it a few days to test and everything seems te be OK so far 👍

• Like 1